Inflation and Poverty
AbstractThis paper discusses the regressive nature of the inflation tax and she limited extent of its impact on those individuals below the poverty line. It also argues that inflation affects poverty mainly through its impact on real wages: the empirical evidence shows that wages increase more slowly than prices during episodes of rising inflation in Latin America. Finally the paper discusses whether some stabilization programs are less costly in terms of increased poverty than others. Both orthodox programs and attempts to reduce inflation by the implementation of incomes policy have not helped the poor in Latin America.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4006.
Date of creation: Mar 1992
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nora Lustig, 2000.
"Crises and the Poor: Socially Responsible Macroeconomics,"
29338, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Nora Lustig, 2000. "Crisis and the Poor: Socially Responsible Macroeconomics," Journal of LACEA Economia, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Buiter, Willem H & Lago, Ricardo & Stern, Nicholas (Sir), 1996.
"Promoting an Effective Market Economy in a Changing World,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1468, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W.H. Buiter & R Lagos & N Stern, 1997. "Promoting an Effective Market Economy in a Changing World," CEP Discussion Papers dp0335, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bonilla, Eugenio Diaz, 2008. "Global macroeconomic developments and poverty:," IFPRI discussion papers 766, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Vassili Prokopenko & Paul Holden, 2001. "Financial Development and Poverty Alleviation: Issues and Policy Implications for Developing and Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 01/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Buiter, Willem H & Lago, Ricardo & Rey, Hélène, 1997.
"Enterprises in Transition: Macroeconomic Influences on Enterprise Decision-making and Performance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1601, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W.H. Buiter & R Lagos & H Rey, 1997. "Enterprises in Transition: Macroeconomic Influences on Enterprise Decision-Making and Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0340, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Easterly, William & Fischer, Stanley, 2000.
"Inflation and the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2335, The World Bank.
- Anyanwu John, 2013. "Working Paper 181 - Determining the Correlates of Poverty for Inclusive Growth in Africa," Working Paper Series 979, African Development Bank.
- Javier Cossío Medinacelli & Marco Antonio Laguna Vargas & Dennise Martin Alarcón & Pablo Mendieta Ossio & Raúl Mendoza Patiño & Martín Palmero Pantoja & Hugo Rodríguez Gonzales, 2008. "La inflación y políticas del Banco Central de Bolivia," Revista de Análisis del BCB, Banco Central de Bolivia, vol. 10(1), pages 73-109, December.
- Paul Cashin & Catherine A. Pattillo & Ratna Sahay & Paolo Mauro, 2001. "Macroeconomic Policies and Poverty Reduction: Stylized Facts and an Overview of Research," IMF Working Papers 01/135, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopher Crowe, 2004.
"Inflation, Inequality and Social Conflict,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0657, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Chris Crowe, 2004. "Inflation, Inequality and Social Conflict," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 69, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Christopher W. Crowe, 2006. "Inflation, Inequality, and Social Conflict," IMF Working Papers 06/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Eleftherios Thalassinos & Erginbay Ugurlu & Yusuf Muratoglu, 2012. "Income Inequality and Inflation in the EU," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1), pages 127-140.
- Nora Lustig, 2000. "Las crisis y la incidencia de la pobreza: Macroeconomía socialmente responsable," IDB Publications 29898, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Steven F. Koch & Adel Bosch, 2009. "Inflation and the Household: Towards a Measurement of the Welfare Costs of Inflation," Working Papers 200917, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- William C. Gruben & Darryl McLeod, 2004. "Currency competition and inflation convergence," Center for Latin America Working Papers 0204, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Ali, Sharafat, 2013. "The Small and Medium Enterprises and Poverty in Pakistan: An Empirical Analysis," MPRA Paper 50506, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2113.
- Marina Halac & Sergio Schmukler, 2003. "Distributional effects of crises : the role of financial transfers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3173, The World Bank.
- Brigitte Granville & Sushanta Mallick*, 2006. "Integrating poverty reduction in IMF-World Bank Models," Working Papers id:502, eSocialSciences.
- William C. Gruben & Darryl McLeod, 2001. "Capital account liberalization and disinflation in the 1990s," Center for Latin America Working Papers 0101, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.