Measures of financial openness and interdependence
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of this paper is to review concepts and measurements related to financial globalization such as financial openness, financial integration, monetary interdependence, and the mobility and movement of capital. Design/methodology/approach – This paper surveys the theoretical and empirical literature on monetary interdependence and financial globalization. The major ways in which these concepts are measured empirically are presented and critiqued. Findings – Disagreements about the degree of financial integration and capital mobility are, in part, explained by the different approaches to measuring these concepts. One major challenge in obtaining a good measures is controlling for other major factors that may influence observed correlations among financial variables. While these relationships still cannot be estimated precisely, it can be safely said that while high for many countries, few if any financial markets are perfectly integrated across countries. Originality/value – By offering a comprehensive analysis of these different measurements, the paper underscores the different implications for national policies and the operation of the international monetary system of different dimensions of globalization. In particular, the proposition that financial globalization has left most countries with little autonomy for domestic monetary policy is subject to serious debate, at least in the short run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Financial Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frieden, Jeffry A., 1991. "Invested interests: the politics of national economic policies in a world of global finance," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(04), pages 425-451, September.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2000.
"The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?,"
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1998. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt3kn3n2s8, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1998. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C98-098, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1998. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," NBER Working Papers 6559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1993.
"How Much Europe? Subsidiarity, Centralization and Fiscal Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
834, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994. "How Much Europe? Subsidiarity, Centralization and Fiscal Competition," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 41(1), pages 85-107, February.
- Willett, Thomas D. & Keil, Manfred W. & Ahn, Young Seok, 2002. "Capital mobility for developing countries may not be so high," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 421-434, August.
- Schüler, Martin & Heinemann, Friedrich, 2002.
"How integrated are the European retail financial markets? A cointegration analysis,"
3b, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Schüler, Martin, 2002. "How integrated are the European retail financial markets? A cointegration analysis," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-22, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Sergio L. Schmukler & Luis Serven, 2002.
"Global Transmission of Interest Rates: Monetary Independence and Currency Regime,"
NBER Working Papers
8828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Schmukler, Sergio L. & Serven, Luis, 2004. "Global transmission of interest rates: monetary independence and currency regime," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 701-733, September.
- Martin Schindler, 2009. "Measuring Financial Integration: A New Data Set," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 222-238, April.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan & Reza Siregar & Iman Sugema, 2003. "Why was there a precrisis capital inflow boom in Southeast Asia?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 265-283.
- Levan Efremidze & Samuel M. Schreyer & Ozan Sula, 2011. "Sudden stops and currency crises," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 304-321, November.
- Edison, Hali J. & Pauls, B. Dianne, 1993.
"A re-assessment of the relationship between real exchange rates and real interest rates: 1974-1990,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 165-187, April.
- Hali J. Edison & B. Dianne Pauls, 1991. "Re-assessment of the relationship between real exchange rates and real interest rates: 1974-1990," International Finance Discussion Papers 408, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thomas Willett & Eric M.P. Chiu & Sirathorn (B.J.) Dechsakulthorn & Ramya Ghosh & Bernard Kibesse & Kenneth Kim & Jeff (Yongbok) Kim & Alice Ouyang, 2011. "Classifying international aspects of currency regimes," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 288-303, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jade Turvey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.