Linking corporate entrepreneurship and human resource management in SMEs
AbstractPurpose – This article seeks to analyse the human resource management (HRM) practices adopted in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) for promoting corporate entrepreneurship (CE) in the Spanish context. The specific objectives of the inquiry revolve around two main research questions: What HRM practices are most beneficial for promoting CE in SMEs? How do HRM practices promote an appropriate working environment for CE in SMEs? Design/methodology/approach – The idea of human resource practices as a key resource is analyzed in the framework of a broader perspective of strategic management known as the resource-based view of the firm. Additionally, literatures concerning CE and HRM in small firms are integrated and reviewed. The empirical study is carried out by adopting a multiple-case study approach. Findings – Evidence shows that the creation of personal relationships and the development of an open communication between owner-managers and employees, and among employees themselves, can help to explain the dynamics of entrepreneurial behaviors within small firms. The openness in the communication is important, not only for promoting CE activities, but also for creating the most appropriate work environment to carry out other resource management practices that stimulate entrepreneurial behaviors. Originality/value – This study integrates the research on CE and HRM practices in a field of study rarely analyzed, such as Spanish SMEs. The approach shows that there is sound evidence supporting the importance of analyzing the factors leading to the emergence of CE, including intangible resources such as the human resource practices that increase the employees' entrepreneurial attitudes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal International Journal of Manpower.
Volume (Year): 32 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gartner, William B. & Birley, Sue, 2002. "Introduction to the special issue on qualitative methods in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 387-395, September.
- Robert A. Burgelman, 1983. "Corporate Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management: Insights from a Process Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(12), pages 1349-1364, December.
- David Urbano & Desislava Yordanova, 2008. "Determinants of the adoption of HRM practices in tourism SMEs in Spain: an exploratory study," Service Business, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 167-185, September.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1991. "Predictors and financial outcomes of corporate entrepreneurship: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 259-285, July.
- Veneta Andonova & Hernando Zuleta, 2007. "The effect of enforcement on human resources practices: A case study in rural Colombia," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 344 - 353, April.
- Lew Perren & Geoff Stevens, 2008. "My life as a service-worker," Service Business, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 147-152, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.