Should inflation-targeting central banks care about dynamic instabilities in an open economy?
AbstractThis paper studies the stability conditions in a simple dynamic economy model, in which central banks adopt an inflation-targeting regime to conduct their policy in a context of flexible exchange rates. We show that when inflation-targeting central banks place a low weight on their inflation target (a relatively high degree of inflation-targeting flexibility), the economy will have a saddle-point stationary equilibrium. In the opposite, when inflation-targeting central banks place a high weight on their inflation target (they have a relatively low degree of inflation-targeting flexibility), a stable equilibrium is impossible. Thus, inflation targeting will automatically give greater weight to exchange rate developments the more open is the economy. Responding too quickly to what may prove to be temporary exchange rate fluctuations, inflation-targeting central banks can set up dynamic instabilities.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus in its journal Ekonomia.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (Winter)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dai, Meixing, 2009.
"On the role of money growth targeting under inflation targeting regime,"
13780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Meixing DAI, 2009. "On the role of money growth targeting under inflation targeting regime," Working Papers of BETA 2009-11, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Dai, Meixing, 2007.
"The design of a ‘two-pillar’ monetary policy strategy,"
14403, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2009.
- Dai, Meixing, 2009. "The Design of a 'Two-Pillar' Monetary Policy Strategy," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-29, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Managing Editor).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.