Real Exchange Rate Volatility and US Exports: An ARDL Bounds Testing Approach
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of exchange rate volatility on US exports to the rest of the world, and to each of its five main markets of destination by means of the recently developed ARDL bounds testing approach to cointegration, which is applicable irrespective of whether the regressors are I(1) or I(0). Using a long-term measure of volatility that captures persistence and mean-reversion in the movements of the real exchange rate, we find that in most of the cases considered export volume is significantly affected by volatility, although the sign and magnitude of this effect varies across markets of destination.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic Issues in its journal Economic Issues.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hassler, Uwe, 1996. "Spurious regressions when stationary regressors are included," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 25-31, January.
- Anders Rahbek & Rocco Mosconi, 1999. "Cointegration rank inference with stationary regressors in VAR models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 76-91.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R, 1993. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Depress Trade Flows? Evidence from Error-Correction Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 700-706, November.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Hegerty, Scott W., 2008. "Exchange-rate risk and U.S.-Japan trade: Evidence from industry level data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 518-534, December.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Harvey, Hanafiah, 2011. "Exchange-rate volatility and industry trade between the U.S. and Malaysia," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 127-155, June.
- Huang, Alex YiHou & Peng, Sheng-Pen & Li, Fangjhy & Ke, Ching-Jie, 2011. "Volatility forecasting of exchange rate by quantile regression," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 591-606, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan Wheatley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.