Testing Search Theory with Reemployment Bonus Experiments: Cross-Validation of Results from New Jersey and Illinois
AbstractThis paper assesses the ability of a simple search-theoretic model to explain the results of two controlled reemployment bonus experiments. The availability of two independent experiments with substantially different treatments allows for a rigorous test of the model. Parameters of the model are estimated by minimizing the distance between the observed and predicted aggregate response in each experiment, then cross-validated using the observed and predicted treatment response from the other experiment. The model provides qualitative predictions that match the observed results quite well, but is unable to predict an effect as large as that observed in one of the experiments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Economic Association in its journal Eastern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 19 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Phillip Levine, 1989. "Testing Search Theory with Reemployment Bonus Experiments: Cross-Validation of Results from New Jersey and Illinois," Working Papers 637, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Woodbury, Stephen A & Spiegelman, Robert G, 1987. "Bonuses to Workers and Employers to Reduce Unemployment: Randomized Trials in Illinois," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 513-30, September.
- Lawrence F. Katz, 1986. "Layoffs, Recall and the Duration of Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 1825, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:prinin:263 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pri:indrel:643 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.