Governing the coffee chain: The role of voluntary regulatory Systems
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 33 (2005)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winter-Nelson, Alex & Temu, Anna, 2002. "Institutional Adjustment and Transaction Costs: Product and Inputs Markets in the Tanzanian Coffee System," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 561-574, April.
- Bacon, Christopher, 2005. "Confronting the Coffee Crisis: Can Fair Trade, Organic, and Specialty Coffees Reduce Small-Scale Farmer Vulnerability in Northern Nicaragua?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 497-511, March.
- Cason, T.N. & Gangadharan, L., 1999.
"Environmental Labeling and Incomplete Consumer Information in Laboratory Markets,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
708, The University of Melbourne.
- Cason, Timothy N. & Gangadharan, Lata, 2002. "Environmental Labeling and Incomplete Consumer Information in Laboratory Markets," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 113-134, January.
- Kilian, Bernard & Pratt, Lawrence & Jones, Connie & Villalobos, Andres, 2004. "Can the Private Sector be Competitive and Contribute to Development through Sustainable Agricultural Business? A Case Study of Coffee in Latin America," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 7(03).
- Varangis, Panos & Siegel, Paul & Giovannucci, Daniele & Lewin, Bryan, 2003. "Dealing with the coffee crisis in Central America - impacts and strategies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2993, The World Bank.
- Peter Gibbon, 2003. "Value-chain Governance, Public Regulation and Entry Barriers in the Global Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Chain into the EU," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21(5-6), pages 615-625, December.
- Gobbi, Jose A., 2000. "Is biodiversity-friendly coffee financially viable? An analysis of five different coffee production systems in western El Salvador," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 267-281, May.
- R. Kaplinsky, 2000. "Globalisation and Unequalisation: What Can Be Learned from Value Chain Analysis?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 117-146.
- Roger A. Sedjo & Stephen K. Swallow, 2002. "Voluntary Eco-Labeling and the Price Premium," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(2), pages 272-284.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Taylor, Peter Leigh, 2005. "In the Market But Not of It: Fair Trade Coffee and Forest Stewardship Council Certification as Market-Based Social Change," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 129-147, January.
- Giovannucci, Daniele & Koekoek, Freek Jan, 2003. "The State of Sustainable Coffee: A Study of Twelve Major Markets," MPRA Paper 17172, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stefanie Kirchhoff, 2000. "Green Business and Blue Angels," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 15(4), pages 403-420, April.
- Stephanie Barrientos, 2000. "Globalization and ethical trade: assessing the implications for development," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 559-570.
- Catherine Dolan & John Humphrey, 2004. "Changing governance patterns in the trade in fresh vegetables between Africa and the United Kingdom," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 36(3), pages 491-509, March.
- Browne, A. W. & Harris, P. J. C. & Hofny-Collins, A. H. & Pasiecznik, N. & Wallace, R. R., 2000. "Organic production and ethical trade: definition, practice and links," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 69-89, February.
- Krivonos, Ekaterina, 2005.
"The impact of coffee market reforms on producer prices and price transmission,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19315, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Krivonos, Ekaterina, 2004. "The impact of coffee market reforms on producer prices and price transmission," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3358, The World Bank.
- Anne Tallontire & M. E Blowfield, 2000. "Will the WTO prevent the growth of ethical trade? Implications of potential changes to WTO rules for environmental and social standards in the forest sector," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 571-584.
- Tad Mutersbaugh, 2002. "The number is the beast: a political economy of organic-coffee certification and producer unionism," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(7), pages 1165-1184, July.
- Afeikhena Jerome & Olawale Ogunkola, 2000. "Characteristics and Behavior of African Commodity/Product Markets and Market Institutions and Their Consequences for Economic Growth," CID Working Papers 35, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
- Ponte, Stefano, 2002. "The 'Latte Revolution'? Regulation, Markets and Consumption in the Global Coffee Chain," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1099-1122, July.
- Kiemen, Anna & Beuchelt, Tina, 2010. "Certification as an upgrading strategy for small-scale farmers and their cooperatives : a value chain analysis for Nicaraguan coffee," Research in Development Economics and Policy (Discussion Paper Series) 122652, Universitaet Hohenheim, Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in the Tropics and Subtropics.
- Agni Kalfagianni & Philipp Pattberg, 2013. "Global fisheries governance beyond the State: unraveling the effectiveness of the Marine Stewardship Council," Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 184-193, June.
- Pacheco, Desirée F. & Dean, Thomas J. & Payne, David S., 2010. "Escaping the green prison: Entrepreneurship and the creation of opportunities for sustainable development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 464-480, September.
- Raynolds, Laura T., 2009. "Mainstreaming Fair Trade Coffee: From Partnership to Traceability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1083-1093, June.
- Swallow, B. & Kallesoe, M. & Iftikhar, U. & Noordwijk, M. van & Bracer, C. & Scherr, S. & Raju, K.V. & Poats, S. & Ochieng, B. & Mallee, H. & Rumley, R., 2007. "Compensation and rewards for environmental services in the developing world framing pan-tropical analysis and comparison," Working Papers b14963, World Agroforestry Centre, Library Department.
- Ponte, Stefano, 2008. "Greener than Thou: The Political Economy of Fish Ecolabeling and Its Local Manifestations in South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 159-175, January.
- Wollni, Meike & Brümmer, Bernhard, 2012. "Productive efficiency of specialty and conventional coffee farmers in Costa Rica: Accounting for technological heterogeneity and self-selection," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 67-76.
- Hatanaka, Maki, 2010. "Certification, Partnership, and Morality in an Organic Shrimp Network: Rethinking Transnational Alternative Agrifood Networks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 706-716, May.
- Islam, Md. Saidul, 2008. "From pond to plate: Towards a twin-driven commodity chain in Bangladesh shrimp aquaculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 209-223, June.
- Handschuch, Christina & Wollni, Meike & Villalobos, Pablo, 2013. "Adoption of food safety and quality standards among Chilean raspberry producers – Do smallholders benefit?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 64-73.
- Meike Wollni & Bernhard Brümmer, 2009. "Productive efficiency of specialty and conventional coffee farmers in Costa Rica: Accounting for technological heterogeneity and self-selection," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 13, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Blackman, Allen & Rivera, Jorge, 2010.
"The Evidence Base for Environmental and Socioeconomic Impacts of “Sustainable” Certification,"
dp-10-17, Resources For the Future.
- Blackman, Allen & Rivera, Jorge, 2010. "The Evidence Base for Environmental and Socioeconomic Impacts of “Sustainable” Certification," Discussion Papers dp-10-10-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Diao, Xinshen & Dorosh, Paul A. & Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2007. "Market opportunities for African agriculture: A General Equilibrium examination of demand-side constraints on agricultural growth in East and Southern Africa," Research reports 154, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Neilson, Jeff, 2008. "Global Private Regulation and Value-Chain Restructuring in Indonesian Smallholder Coffee Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1607-1622, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.