Growth-oriented adjustment programs: A statistical analysis
AbstractAfter the fall in average per capita GDP growth that took place in the 1980s, adjustment lending programs supported by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank (WB) were launched in response to the deteriorating external environment. The purpose of this paper is to evaluate and to assess statistically the extent to which adjustment programs supported by the IMF and the WB have restored growth. The evaluation relied on a large sample of countries (93) and controls for some of the statistical difficulties associated with measuring the effectiveness of adjustment programs. The paper reviews the environment under which IMF-WB lending took place, the rationale for adjustment lending, and the distribution of adjustment loans through time. The results of the statistical evaluation suggest that, after controlling for external factors and for initial conditions, growth is not higher in countries that receive IMF-WB funds, but that investment was significantly lower than for non-recipient countries. The paper also examines further long-term growth prospects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 19 (1991)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
Other versions of this item:
- Faini, Riccardo & de Melo, Jaime & Senhadji-Semlali, Abdel & Stanton, Julie, 1990. "Growth oriented adjustment programs : a statistical analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 426, The World Bank.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1990.
"Credibility and Stabilization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
454, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Harry Huizinga, 1987.
"U.S. Commercial Banks and the Developing Country Debt Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
2455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Harry Huizinga, 1987. "U.S. Commercial Banks and the Developing-Country Debt Crisis," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(2), pages 555-606.
- Sachs, J. & Huizinga, H.P., 1987. "U.S. commercial banks and the developing-country debt crisis," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-155106, Tilburg University.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985. "Policy and Performance Links between LDC Debtors and Industrial Nations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 16(2), pages 303-368.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Buffie, Edward F., 1986. "Devaluation, investment and growth in LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 361-379, March.
- Balassa, Bela, 1988. "Quantitative appraisal of adjustment lending," Policy Research Working Paper Series 79, The World Bank.
- Dadkhah, Kamran M & Zahedi, Fatemeh, 1986. "Simultaneous Estimation of Production Functions and Capital Stocks for Developing Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 443-51, August.
- Buffie, Edward F., 1984. "The macroeconomics of trade liberalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 121-137, August.
- Kiviet, Jan F, 1986. "On the Rigour of Some Misspecification Tests for Modelling Dynamic Relationships," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 241-61, April.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1985. "Model selection test procedures in a single linear equation of a dynamic simultaneous system and their defects in small samples," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 327-362, June.
- Buffie, Edward F. & Won, Yongkul, 2001. "Devaluation and investment in an optimizing model of the small open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1461-1499, August.
- de Melo, Jaime & Montenegro, Claudio & Panagariya, Arvind, 1992. "Regional integration, old and new," Policy Research Working Paper Series 985, The World Bank.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Uwujaren, Gilbert, 1992. "World Bank adjustment lending and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa in the 1980s : a comparison with other low income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1000, The World Bank.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1995. "Wirtschaftsreformen in Entwicklungs- und Transformationsländern : Anreizprobleme, Glaubwürdigkeitsdefizite und die Erfolgschancen umfassender Reformen," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1636, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Jinjarak, Yothin & Salinas, Gonzalo & Tsikata, Yvonne M., 2013. "The effect of World Bank trade adjustment assistance on trade and growth, 1987–2004: Is the glass half full or half empty?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 415-430.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & de Melo, Jaime, 1990. "Membership in the CFA zone : Odyssean journey or Trojan horse?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 482, The World Bank.
- Rose, Pauline, 1995. "Female education and adjustment programs: A crosscountry statistical analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(11), pages 1931-1949, November.
- de Melo, Jaime & Dhar, Sumana, 1992. "Lessons of trade liberalization in Latin America for economies in transition," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1040, The World Bank.
- Dicks-Mireaux, Louis & Mecagni, Mauro & Schadler, Susan, 2000. "Evaluating the effect of IMF lending to low-income countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 495-526, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.