Strategic airline alliances and endogenous Stackelberg equilibria
AbstractThis paper analyzes the economic effects of the code-sharing alliances between an international and a domestic airline. If these two allied airlines and a separate unallied international airline endogenously choose the role of fare-leader or fare-follower, two types of Stackelberg equilibria exist. This finding suggests that the Stackelberg solution seems reasonable, and provides a guideline for the airlines' role-choosing. Furthermore, although this complementary alliance improves the social welfare, it decreases the consumer surplus of the direct international passengers and may decrease that of the direct domestic passengers. The negative effects should also be considered when governments evaluate a complementary alliance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 40 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hattori, Keisuke & Lin, Ming Hsin, 2010.
"Alliance Partner Choice in Markets with Vertical and Horizontal Externalities,"
25732, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hattori Keisuke & Lin Ming-Hsin, 2011. "Alliance Partner Choice in Markets with Vertical and Horizontal Externalities," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-27, June.
- Rafael Moner Colonques & Ricardo Flores Fillol, 2005. "Strategic Effects Of International Airline Alliances," Working Papers. Serie AD 2005-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2005.
"On the Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: the Role of Strategic Effects,"
Cahiers de recherche
0502, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Philippe Barla & Christos Constantatos, 2006. "On The Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: The Role of Strategic Effects," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 40(3), pages 409-424, September.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2005. "On the Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: the Role of Strategic Effects," Cahiers de recherche 0502, GREEN.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2005:i:4:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ming Hsin Lin, 2005. "Alliances and entry in a simple airline network," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(4), pages 1-11.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.