Bootstrap hypothesis testing in regression models
AbstractThe paper investigates how the particular choice of residuals used in a bootstrap-based testing procedure affects the properties of the test. The properties of the tests are investigated both under the null and under the alternative. It is shown that for non-pivotal test statistics, the method used to obtain residuals largely affects the power behavior of the tests. For instance, imposing the null hypothesis in the residual estimation step--although it does not affect the behavior of the test if the null is true--it leads to a loss of power under the alternative as compared to tests based on resampling unrestricted residuals. Residuals obtained using a parameter estimator which minimizes their variance maximizes the power of the corresponding bootstrap-based tests. In this context, studentizing makes the tests more robust to such residual effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 74 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anders Rygh Swensen, 2003. "Bootstrapping unit root tests for integrated processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 99-126, 01.
- Joon Y. Park, 2000.
"Bootstrap Unit Root Tests,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1587, Econometric Society.
- Nankervis, John C & Savin, N E, 1996. "The Level and Power of the Bootstrap t Test in the AR(1) Model with Trend," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 161-68, April.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1994. "Bootstrap-based critical values for the information matrix test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 395-411, April.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2012. "Thirty Years of Heteroskedasticity-Robust Inference," Working Papers 1268, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & A.M. Robert Taylor, 2014.
"Bootstrap Score Tests for Fractional Integration in Heteroskedastic ARFIMA Models, with an Application to Price Dynamics in Commodity Spot and Futures Markets,"
CREATES Research Papers
2014-22, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Morten Ã˜rregaard Nielsen & A.M. Robert Taylor, 2013. "Bootstrap Score Tests for Fractional Integration in Heteroskedastic ARFIMA Models, with an Application to Price Dynamics in Commodity Spot and Futures Markets," Working Papers 1309, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Rossi, Francesca, 2012.
"Improved tests for spatial correlation,"
41835, University Library of Munich, Germany.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.