Stationarity and geometric ergodicity of BEKK multivariate GARCH models
AbstractConditions for the existence of strictly stationary multivariate GARCH processes in the so-called BEKK parametrisation, which is the most general form of multivariate GARCH processes typically used in applications, and for their geometric ergodicity are obtained. The conditions are that the driving noise is absolutely continuous with respect to the Lebesgue measure and zero is in the interior of its support and that a certain matrix built from the GARCH coefficients has spectral radius smaller than one. To establish the results, semi-polynomial Markov chains are defined and analysed using algebraic geometry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 121 (2011)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Comte, F. & Lieberman, O., 2003. "Asymptotic theory for multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 61-84, January.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Stelzer, Robert, 2008. "On The Relation Between The Vec And Bekk Multivariate Garch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 1131-1136, August.
- Christian M. Hafner, 2003. "Fourth Moment Structure of Multivariate GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 26-54.
- Basrak, Bojan & Davis, Richard A. & Mikosch, Thomas, 2002. "Regular variation of GARCH processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 95-115, May.
- Doukhan, Paul & Wintenberger, Olivier, 2008. "Weakly dependent chains with infinite memory," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(11), pages 1997-2013, November.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.