Does prior record matter in the wealth effect of open-market share repurchase announcements?
AbstractThis study investigates whether prior experience of share repurchases matters in the market reactions to the subsequent repurchase announcements. Specifically, we study the prior record on actual buybacks and post-announcement stock performance. We find that upon the announcement of share repurchases, stock markets not only respond more positively to those made by firms that have better record on actual buyback following their previous repurchase plan announcements, but also experience a stronger reaction for announcing firms with better stock performance after prior repurchase announcements. These results hold even after controlling for other variables that are found important in influencing the market reactions to repurchase announcements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Share repurchase Record on actual buyback Stock performance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hribar, Paul & Jenkins, Nicole Thorne & Johnson, W. Bruce, 2006. "Stock repurchases as an earnings management device," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 3-27, April.
- Fried, Dov & Givoly, Dan, 1982. "Financial analysts' forecasts of earnings : A better surrogate for market expectations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 85-107, October.
- Sheng-Syan Chen, 2008. "Organizational Form and the Economic Impact of Corporate New Product Strategies," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1-2), pages 71-101.
- Clifford P. Stephens & Michael S. Weisbach, 1998. "Actual Share Reacquisitions in Open-Market Repurchase Programs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 313-333, 02.
- Asquith, Paul & Mullins, David Jr., 1986. "Equity issues and offering dilution," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 61-89.
- Ofer, Aharon R & Thakor, Anjan V, 1987.
" A Theory of Stock Price Responses to Alternative Corporate Cash Disbursement Methods: Stock Repurchases and Dividends,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 365-94, June.
- Ahron R. Ofer & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004. "A Theory of Stock Price Responses to Alternative Corporate Cash Disbursement Methods: Stock Repurchase and Dividends," Finance 0411031, EconWPA.
- Guojin Gong & Henock Louis & Amy X. Sun, 2008. "Earnings Management and Firm Performance Following Open-Market Repurchases," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(2), pages 947-986, 04.
- Hanson, Robert C. & Song, Moon H., 1998. "Shareholder wealth effects of free trade: U.S. and Mexican stock market response to nafta," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 209-224.
- Murali Jagannathan & Clifford Stephens, 2003. "Motives for Multiple Open-Market Repurchase Programs," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 32(2), Summer.
- Zhang, Hua, 2005. "Share price performance following actual share repurchases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1887-1901, July.
- Ranjan D'mello & Pervin K. Shroff, 2000. "Equity Undervaluation and Decisions Related to Repurchase Tender Offers: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2399-2424, October.
- Givoly, Dan & Lakonishok, Josef, 1979. "The information content of financial analysts' forecasts of earnings: Some evidence on semi-strong inefficiency," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 165-185, December.
- Banyi, Monica L. & Dyl, Edward A. & Kahle, Kathleen M., 2008. "Errors in estimating share repurchases," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 460-474, September.
- Bens, Daniel A. & Nagar, Venky & Skinner, Douglas J. & Wong, M. H. Franco, 2003. "Employee stock options, EPS dilution, and stock repurchases," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-3), pages 51-90, December.
- Ikenberry, David & Lakonishok, Josef & Vermaelen, Theo, 1995.
"Market underreaction to open market share repurchases,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 181-208.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1994. "Market Underreaction to Open Market Share Repurchases," NBER Working Papers 4965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lie, Erik, 2005. "Operating performance following open market share repurchase announcements," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 411-436, September.
- Lehn, Kenneth & Poulsen, Annette, 1989. " Free Cash Flow and Stockholder Gains in Going Private Transactions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 771-87, July.
- Brous, Peter A. & Kini, Omesh, 1993. "A reexamination of analysts' earnings forecasts for takeover targets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 201-225, April.
- Denis, David J. & Denis, Diane K. & Sarin, Atulya, 1994. "The Information Content of Dividend Changes: Cash Flow Signaling, Overinvestment, and Dividend Clienteles," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(04), pages 567-587, December.
- Wang, Li-Hsun & Lin, Chu-Hsiung & Fung, Hung-Gay & Chen, Hsien-Ming, 2013. "An analysis of stock repurchase in Taiwan," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 497-513.
- Chang, Chih-Hsiang & Chan, Kam C., 2011. "Investment banks' stock ratings, call warrant issuance, and responses from heterogeneous investors: Evidence from Taiwan," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 733-743, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.