Earnings Management and Firm Performance Following Open-Market Repurchases
AbstractBoth post-repurchase abnormal returns and "reported" improvement in operating performance are driven, at least in part, by pre-repurchase downward earnings management rather than genuine growth in profitability. The downward earnings management increases with both the percentage of the company that managers repurchase and CEO ownership. Pre-repurchase abnormal accruals are also negatively associated with future performance, with the association driven mainly by those firms that report the largest income-decreasing abnormal accruals. The study suggests that one reason firms experience post-repurchase abnormal returns is that post-repurchase realized earnings growth exceeds expectations formed on the basis of pre-repurchase deflated earnings numbers. Copyright 2008 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 63 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Sheng-Syan & Wang, Yanzhi, 2012. "Financial constraints and share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 311-331.
- Banyi, Monica L. & Dyl, Edward A. & Kahle, Kathleen M., 2008. "Errors in estimating share repurchases," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 460-474, September.
- Haw, In-Mu & Ho, Simon S.M. & Hu, Bingbing & Zhang, Xu, 2011. "The contribution of stock repurchases to the value of the firm and cash holdings around the world," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 152-166, February.
- Chen, Sheng-Syan & Ho, Kim Wai & Huang, Chia-Wei & Wang, Yanzhi, 2013. "Buyback behavior of initial public offering firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 32-42.
- Haw, In-Mu & Ho, Simon S.M. & Hu, Bingbing & Zhang, Xu, 2013. "Legal Institutions, Ownership Concentration, and Stock Repurchases Around the World: Signal Mimicking?," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 427-458.
- Chang, Shao-Chi & Chen, Sheng-Syan & Chen, Li-Yu, 2010. "Does prior record matter in the wealth effect of open-market share repurchase announcements?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 427-435, June.
- Lee, Gemma & Masulis, Ronald W., 2011. "Do more reputable financial institutions reduce earnings management by IPO issuers?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 982-1000, September.
- Ball, Ray & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2008. "Earnings quality at initial public offerings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 324-349, August.
- Brent Ambrose & Xun Bian, 2010. "Stock Market Information and REIT Earnings Management," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 32(1), pages 101-138.
- Adams, Brian & Carow, Kenneth A. & Perry, Tod, 2009. "Earnings management and initial public offerings: The case of the depository industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2363-2372, December.
- Oded, Jacob, 2011. "Stock repurchases: How firms choose between a self tender offer and an open-market program," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3174-3187.
- Kraft, Anastasia & Lee, Bong Soo & Lopatta, Kerstin, 2014. "Management earnings forecasts, insider trading, and information asymmetry," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 96-123.
- Lin, Ji-Chai & Stephens, Clifford P. & Wu, YiLin, 2014. "Limited attention, share repurchases, and takeover risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 283-301.
- Jiang, Zhan & Kim, Kenneth A. & Lie, Erik & Yang, Sean, 2013. "Share repurchases, catering, and dividend substitution," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 36-50.
- Hazarika, Sonali & Karpoff, Jonathan M. & Nahata, Rajarishi, 2012. "Internal corporate governance, CEO turnover, and earnings management," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 44-69.
- Gong, Guojin & Louis, Henock & Sun, Amy X., 2008. "Earnings management, lawsuits, and stock-for-stock acquirers' market performance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 62-77, September.
- Chan, Konan & Ikenberry, David L. & Lee, Inmoo & Wang, Yanzhi, 2010. "Share repurchases as a potential tool to mislead investors," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 137-158, April.
- Wang, Li-Hsun & Lin, Chu-Hsiung & Fung, Hung-Gay & Chen, Hsien-Ming, 2013. "An analysis of stock repurchase in Taiwan," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 497-513.
- Bouwman, Christa H.S., 2014. "Managerial optimism and earnings smoothing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 283-303.
- Wang, Weishen & Graefe-Anderson, Rachel & Pyles, Mark K. & Kim, Dongnyoung, 2014. "How entrenched managers beat earnings expectations before and after SOX," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 82-91.
- Brockman, Paul & Khurana, Inder K. & Martin, Xiumin, 2008. "Voluntary disclosures around share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 175-191, July.
- Chang, Saeyoung & Puthenpurackal, John, 2014. "Repurchases of convertible preferred stock and shareholder wealth," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 623-630.
- Woan-lih Liang & Konan Chan & Wei-Hsien Lai & Yanzhi Wang, 2013. "Motivation for Repurchases: A Life Cycle Explanation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 221-242, April.
- Demirtas, K. Ozgur & Rodgers Cornaggia, Kimberly, 2013. "Initial credit ratings and earnings management," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 135-145.
- Datta, Sudip & Iskandar-Datta, Mai & Singh, Vivek, 2014. "Opaque financial reports and R2: Revisited," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 10-17.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.