Equity Undervaluation and Decisions Related to Repurchase Tender Offers: An Empirical Investigation
AbstractThis paper tests whether managers repurchase stock when their assessment of the firm's economic value exceeds the market value. Using the forecasts managers would have if they had perfect foresight, we estimate economic value using an earnings-based valuation model. The major findings are as follows: (1) 74 percent of the firms that repurchase shares via fixed-price tender offers are undervalued relative to their preannouncement economic value; this percentage is significantly lower for a control sample, (2) the tender premium is highly correlated with the magnitude of undervaluation, and (3) the decision to satisfy oversubscription demand is influenced significantly by the magnitude of undervaluation. Copyright The American Finance Association 2000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 55 (2000)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chang, Shao-Chi & Chen, Sheng-Syan & Chen, Li-Yu, 2010. "Does prior record matter in the wealth effect of open-market share repurchase announcements?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 427-435, June.
- Jun, Sang-gyung & Jung, Mookwon & Walkling, Ralph A., 2009. "Share repurchase, executive options and wealth changes to stockholders and bondholders," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 212-229, April.
- Ken Yook & Partha Gangopadhyay, 2011. "A comprehensive examination of the wealth effects of recent stock repurchase announcements," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 509-529, November.
- Tawatnuntachai, Oranee & Yaman, Devrim, 2007. "Do investors overreact to earnings warnings?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 177-201.
- Ma, Qingzhong & Whidbee, David A. & Zhang, Athena Wei, 2011. "Value, valuation, and the long-run performance of merged firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Elliott, William B. & Koeter-Kant, Johanna & Warr, Richard S., 2007. "A valuation-based test of market timing," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 112-128, March.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Vikram Nanda & Rajdeep Singh, 2006.
"Hot Markets, Investor Sentiment, and IPO Pricing,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 1667-1702, July.
- Lin, Hsuan-Chu & Chou, Ting-Kai & Cheng, Jia-Chi, 2011. "Does market misvaluation drive post-acquisition underperformance in stock deals?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 690-706, October.
- Wang, Li-Hsun & Lin, Chu-Hsiung & Fung, Hung-Gay & Chen, Hsien-Ming, 2013. "An analysis of stock repurchase in Taiwan," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 497-513.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J. & Paeglis, Imants & Simonyan, Karen, 2009. "The medium of exchange in acquisitions: Does the private information of both acquirer and target matter?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 523-542, December.
- Ming Dong & David Hirshleifer & Scott Richardson & Siew Hong Teoh, 2006.
"Does Investor Misvaluation Drive the Takeover Market?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 725-762, 04.
- MING DONG & David Hirshleifer & SCOTT RICHARSON & Siew Hong Teoh, 2004. "Does Investor Misvaluation Drive the Takeover Market?," Finance 0412002, EconWPA.
- Daniel, Kent & Hirshleifer, David & Teoh, Siew Hong, 2002. "Investor psychology in capital markets: evidence and policy implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 139-209, January.
- Elliott, William B. & Koëter-Kant, Johanna & Warr, Richard S., 2008. "Market timing and the debt-equity choice," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 175-197, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.