Fuel tax incidence and supply conditions
AbstractThe incidence of taxes on consumers and producers plays a central role in evaluating energy tax policy, yet the literature testing the main predictions of the tax incidence model is sparse. In this paper, we examine the pass-through rate of state gasoline and diesel taxes to retail prices, and importantly we estimate the dependence of pass-through on factors constraining the gasoline and diesel supply chains. We consider several factors that alter the elasticity of supply, including within state heterogeneity in gasoline content requirements, refinery capacity utilization, inventory constraints, and variation in the demand for untaxed uses of diesel. In general, we find that in periods of time when the supply chain is constrained, and the constraint is plausibly unrelated to shifts in demand, the pass-through rate of fuel taxes declines. We describe several potential implications for tax policy, including tax breaks during peak driving season and during times of supply disruptions such as after major hurricanes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 95 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9-10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Tax incidence Gasoline Fuel supply;
Other versions of this item:
- Marion, Justin & Muehlegger, Erich J., 2010. "Fuel Tax Incidence and Supply Conditions," Scholarly Articles 4448995, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Justin Marion & Erich Muehlegger, 2011. "Fuel Tax Incidence and Supply Conditions," NBER Working Papers 16863, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marion, Justin & Muehlegger, Erich, 2010. "Fuel Tax Incidence and Supply Conditions," Working Paper Series rwp10-014, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- L98 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Government Policy
- Q4 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, Stephen F., 1999. "Tax incidence under oligopoly: a comparison of policy approaches," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 233-245, February.
- Chernick, Howard & Reschovsky, Andrew, 1997. "Who Pays the Gasoline Tax?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 50(2), pages 233-59, June Cita.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990.
"Inventories and the short-run dynamics of commodity prices,"
3133-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Inventories and the Short-Run Dynamics of Commodity Prices," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(1), pages 141-159, Spring.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Inventories and the Short-Run Dynamics of Commodity Prices," NBER Working Papers 3295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:5335 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2000.
"Tax Avoidance, Evasion, and Administration,"
NBER Working Papers
7473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bushnell, James & Chong, Howard G. & Mansur, Erin T., 2009.
"Profiting from Regulation: An Event Study of the EU Carbon Market,"
Staff General Research Papers
13139, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T. & Chong, Howard G., 2010. "Profiting from Regulation: An Event Study of the EU Carbon Market," Staff General Research Papers 32737, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James B. Bushnell & Howard Chong & Erin T. Mansur, 2009. "Profiting from Regulation: An Event Study of the EU Carbon Market," NBER Working Papers 15572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devereux, Michael & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2004.
"Horizontal And Vertical Indirect Tax Competition : Theory And Some Evidence From The Usa,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
704, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Devereux, M.P. & Lockwood, B. & Redoano, M., 2007. "Horizontal and vertical indirect tax competition: Theory and some evidence from the USA," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 451-479, April.
- Devereux, Michael P & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2004. "Horizontal and Vertical Indirect Tax Competition: Theory and Some Evidence From the USA," CEPR Discussion Papers 4470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James Alm & Edward Sennoga & Mark Skidmore, 2009. "Perfect Competition, Urbanization, And Tax Incidence In The Retail Gasoline Market," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 47(1), pages 118-134, 01.
- Justin Marion & Erich Muehlegger, 2008. "Measuring Illegal Activity and the Effects of Regulatory Innovation: Tax Evasion and the Dyeing of Untaxed Diesel," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(4), pages 633-666, 08.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Otero, Jesús & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2013.
"On the dynamics of gasoline market integration in the United States: Evidence from a pair-wise approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 503-510.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesus Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2012. "On the Dynamics of Gasoline Market Integration in the United States: Evidence from a Pair-wise Approach," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1230, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2012. "On the Dynamics of Gasoline Market Integration in the United States: Evidence from a Pair-Wise Approach," Working Paper Series 68_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Shanjun Li & Joshua Linn & Erich Muehlegger, 2012.
"Gasoline Taxes and Consumer Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
17891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tuomas Kosonen, 2013. "More haircut after VAT cut? On the efficiency of service sector consumption taxes," Working Papers 49, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Klier, Thomas & Linn, Joshua, 2011.
"Fuel Prices and New Vehicle Fuel Economy in Europe,"
dp-11-37, Resources For the Future.
- Thomas Klier & Joshua Linn, 2011. "Fuel Prices and New Vehicle Fuel Economy in Europe," Working Papers 1117, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Mario Jametti & Agustin Redonda & Anindya Sen, 2013.
"The Power to Pass on Taxes - A Test for Tax Shifting Based on Observables,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4265, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mario Jametti & Agustin Redonda & Anindya Sen, 2013. "The Power to Pass on Taxes - A Test for Tax Shifting based on Observables," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1301, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Chiou, Lesley & Muehlegger, Erich J., 2010. "Consumer Response to Cigarette Excise Tax Changes," Scholarly Articles 4448875, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Daniel H. Cooper & Byron F. Lutz & Michael G. Palumbo, 2012. "Quantifying the role of federal and state taxes in mitigating wage inequality," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-05, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nicholas Rivers & Brandon Schaufele, 2012. "Carbon Tax Salience and Gasoline Demand," Working Papers 1211E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- repec:mcd:mcddps:2012_10 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.