Perfect Competition, Urbanization, And Tax Incidence In The Retail Gasoline Market
Abstract"We use monthly gasoline price data for all 50 U.S. states over the period 1984-1999 to examine the incidence of state gasoline excise taxes. Our estimation results indicate full shifting of gasoline taxes to the final consumer. In addition, although we find that gasoline retail prices demonstrate asymmetric responses to changes in "gasoline wholesale prices", we find only limited evidence of such behavior for retail prices with respect to "gasoline excise taxes. "Finally, we find that gasoline markets in urban states exhibit full shifting, but those in rural states (with less competition) demonstrate somewhat less than full shifting". ("JEL "H22) Copyright (c) 2008 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 47 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0095-2583
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marion, Justin & Muehlegger, Erich, 2011.
"Fuel tax incidence and supply conditions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1202-1212.
- Marion, Justin & Muehlegger, Erich J., 2010. "Fuel Tax Incidence and Supply Conditions," Scholarly Articles 4448995, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Justin Marion & Erich Muehlegger, 2011. "Fuel Tax Incidence and Supply Conditions," NBER Working Papers 16863, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marion, Justin & Muehlegger, Erich, 2010. "Fuel Tax Incidence and Supply Conditions," Working Paper Series rwp10-014, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Daniel H. Cooper & Byron F. Lutz & Michael G. Palumbo, 2012. "Quantifying the role of federal and state taxes in mitigating wage inequality," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-05, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:mcd:mcddps:2012_10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zimmerman, Paul R., 2009. "The competitive impact of hypermarket retailers on gasoline prices," MPRA Paper 20248, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marina Di Giacomo & Massimiliano Piacenza & Gilberto Turati, 2009. "Are "Flexible" Taxation Mechanisms Effective in Stabilizing Fuel Prices? An Evaluation Considering the Italian Fuel Markets," Working papers 7, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesus Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2012.
"On the Dynamics of Gasoline Market Integration in the United States: Evidence from a Pair-wise Approach,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1230, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Otero, Jesús & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2013. "On the dynamics of gasoline market integration in the United States: Evidence from a pair-wise approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 503-510.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2012. "On the Dynamics of Gasoline Market Integration in the United States: Evidence from a Pair-Wise Approach," Working Paper Series 68_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Kazuki Onji, 2009. "A Tale of Pork Prices: Evasion and Attenuation of a Japanese Tariff," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 382, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Tuomas Kosonen, 2013. "More haircut after VAT cut? On the efficiency of service sector consumption taxes," Working Papers 49, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Claudio Agostini, 2009. "Incidencia Tributaria en el Mercado de las Gasolinas en Chile," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv223, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Lucas W. Davis & Lutz Kilian, 2009.
"Estimating the Effect of a Gasoline Tax on Carbon Emissions,"
NBER Working Papers
14685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas W. Davis & Lutz Kilian, 2011. "Estimating the effect of a gasoline tax on carbon emissions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(7), pages 1187-1214, November.
- Davis, Lucas W & Kilian, Lutz, 2009. "Estimating the Effect of a Gasoline Tax on Carbon Emissions," CEPR Discussion Papers 7161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kazuki Onji, 2009. "A tale of pork prices : evasion and attenuation of a Japanese tariff," Trade Working Papers 22883, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Chiou, Lesley & Muehlegger, Erich J., 2010. "Consumer Response to Cigarette Excise Tax Changes," Scholarly Articles 4448875, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.