Input price variation across locations and a generalized measure of cost efficiency
AbstractWe propose a non-parametric model for global cost minimization as a framework for optimal allocation of a firm's output target across multiple locations, taking account of differences in input prices and technologies across locations. This should be useful for firms planning production sites within a country and for foreign direct investment decisions by multi-national firms. Two illustrative examples are included. The first example considers the production location decision of a manufacturing firm across a number of adjacent states within the US. In the other example, we consider the optimal allocation of US and Canadian automobile manufacturers across the two countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 116 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Cost minimization Data envelopment analysis Heterogeneous technology Location efficiency;
Other versions of this item:
- Subhash C. Ray & Lei Chen & Kankana Mukherjee, 2008. "Input Price Variation Across Locations and a Generalized Measure of Cost Efficiency," Working papers 2008-11, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Tulkens, Henry & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1995.
"Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 474-499, February.
- Tulkens, H. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., . "Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- TULKENS, Henry & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1993. "Non-Parametric Efficiency, Progress and Regress Measures for Panel Data : Methodological Aspects," CORE Discussion Papers 1993016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Grifell-Tatjé & C.A.K. Lovell, 2000. "Cost and productivity," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 19-30.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee, 2000. "Decomposition of Cost Competitiveness in U.S. Manufacturing: Some State-by-State Comparisons," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 133-153, July.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Rajiv Banker & Hsihui Chang & Ram Natarajan, 2007. "Estimating DEA technical and allocative inefficiency using aggregate cost or revenue data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 115-121, April.
- Portela, Maria Conceição A. Silva & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2014. "Economic efficiency when prices are not fixed: disentangling quantity and price efficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 36-44.
- Leleu, Hervé & Briec, Walter, 2009. "A DEA estimation of a lower bound for firms' allocative efficiency without information on price data," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 203-211, September.
- Maria Conceição Portela, 2013. "Value And Quantity Data In Economic And Technical Efficiency Measurement," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 03, Faculdade de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Porto).
- Subhash Ray, 2012. "Productivity Change over Time and the Dynamics of Cost Competitiveness: A Nonparametric Analysis of U.S. Manufacturing Data," Working papers 2012-39, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.