Heterogenety in hospitals responses to a financial reform: A random coefficient analysis of the impact of activity-based financing on efficiency
AbstractThe paper examines the heterogeneity with respect to the impact of a financial reform - Activity Based Financing (ABF) - on hospital efficiency in Norway. Measures of technical efficiency and of cost-efficiency are considered. The data set is from a contiguous ten-year panel of 47 hospitals covering both pre-ABF years and years after its imposition. Substantial heterogeneity in the responses, as measured by both estimated and predicted coefficients, is found. Rank correlations between the estimated/predicted coefficients of the ABF dummy and the pre-ABF/post-ABF efficiencies are examined. Overall, improvement seems to be more pronounced in technical efficiency than in cost-efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme in its series HERO On line Working Paper Series with number 2006:9.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 04 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: HERO / Institute of Health Management and Health Economics P.O. Box 1089 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway
Phone: 2307 5309
Fax: 2307 5310
Web page: http://www.hero.uio.no/eng.html
More information through EDIRC
Health econometrics; Panel data; Hospital efficiency; Activity-based financing; Random coefficients; Heterogeneity; Rank Correlation;
Other versions of this item:
- Biorn, Erik & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2006. "Heterogeneity in Hospitals' Responses to a Financial Reform: A Random Coefficient Analysis of The Impact of Activity-Based Financing on Efficiency," MPRA Paper 8169, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2009-06-03 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HEA-2009-06-03 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brigitte Dormont & Carine Milcent, 2002. "Quelle régulation pour les hôpitaux publics français ?," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 17(2), pages 117-142.
- Biørn, Erik & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2009.
"The effect of activity-based financing on hospital efficiency: A panel data analysis of DEA efficiency scores 1992-2000,"
HERO On line Working Paper Series
2002:8, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Biorn, Erik & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2002. "The Effect of Activity-Based Financing on Hospital Efficiency: A Panel Data Analysis of DEA Efficiency Scores 1992-2000," MPRA Paper 8099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ole Olesen & Niels Petersen, 2002. "The Use of Data Envelopment Analysis with Probabilistic Assurance Regions for Measuring Hospital Efficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 83-109, January.
- Mark Duggan, 2002. "Hospital Market Structure and the Behavior of Not-For-Profit Hospitals," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(3), pages 433-446, Autumn.
- Guillem López-Casasnovas & Marc Saez, 1999. "The impact of teaching status on average costs in Spanish hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(7), pages 641-651.
- Chalkley, M. & Malcomson, J.M., 1995.
"Contracting for health services when patient demand does not reflect quality,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9514, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Chalkley, Martin & Malcomson, James M., 1998. "Contracting for health services when patient demand does not reflect quality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2000.
"Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data,"
292, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2002. "Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 39-57, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Lancaster, Tony, 2000. "The incidental parameter problem since 1948," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 391-413, April.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Newhouse, Joseph P. & Byrne, Daniel J., 1988. "Did Medicare's Prospective Payment System cause length of stay to fall?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 413-416, December.
- Erik BIORN & Kjerti-Gro LINDQUIST & Terje SKJERPEN, 2003. "Random Coefficients in Unbalanced Panels: An Application on Data from Chemical Plants," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 69, pages 55-83.
- Laura Di Giorgio & Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero, 2012. "Implications of global budget payment system on nursing home costs," CEPRA working paper 1301, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Philippe K. Widmer, 2011. "Does prospective payment increase hospital (in)efficiency? Evidence from the Swiss hospital sector," ECON - Working Papers 053, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anbjørg Kolaas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.