Job creation, job destruction and voting behavior in Poland
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effect of job creation and job destruction on the voting patterns of individuals in Poland during the 1997 and 2001 parliamentary elections. First, we link the votes for the left wing party to the unemployment rate and the job creation and destruction rates in the constituency. We show that the job destruction rate and unemployment rate has a positive effect on the votes for the SLD, while the job creation rate has a negative effect. Second, we look at the effect of the change in job creation and job destruction rates on the change in the votes for individual candidates. We find that incumbents from the former right wing coalition received less votes if excess job reallocation had increased in their constituency. Therefore, the paper provides evidence that job flows have a strong impact on voting patterns and that the balance between the positive and negative effects of reforms determine to a large extent the political outcome.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505544
Other versions of this item:
- Smeets, Valerie & Warzynski, Frederic, 2003. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Voting Behavior in Poland," Working Papers 03-24, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Valä¿½ie Smeets & Frederic Warzynski, 2003. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Voting Behavior in Poland," LICOS Discussion Papers 13903, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
- P26 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Political Economy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Haltiwanger, 2000. "Aggregate Growth: What Have We Learned from Microeconomic Evidence?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 267, OECD Publishing.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2000.
"Political support for reforms: Economics of voting in transition countries,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1491-1513, August.
- Fidrmuc, J., 1998. "Political Support for Reforms: Economics of Voting in Transition Countries," Discussion Paper 1998-98, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Valev, Neven, 2004.
"No pain, no gain: market reform, unemployment, and politics in Bulgaria,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 409-425, September.
- Neven Valev, 2003. "No Pain, No Gain: Market Reform, Unemployment, and Politics in Bulgaria," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0310, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Neven Valev, 2003. "No Pain, No Gain: Market Reform, Unemployment, and Politics in Bulgaria," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-577, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Frédéric Warzynski, 2003. "The causes and consequences of sector-level job flows in Poland ," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(2), pages 357-381, June.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Roland, Gérard, 1993.
"The Design of Reform Packages Under Uncertainty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
860, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2003.
"Job creation, job destruction and employment growth in transition countries in the 90s,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 129-154, June.
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2001. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Employment Growth in Transition Countries in the 90's," IZA Discussion Papers 242, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- John E. Jackson & Jacek Klich & Krystyna Poznanska, 2003. "Economic transition and elections in Poland," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(1), pages 41-66, March.
- Begovic, Boris & Paunovic, Marko, 2011. "Political support for enterprise restructuring and voting in Serbia," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 171-180, March.
- Liesbeth Dries & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2012.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in EU Agriculture,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
31512, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d’Artis, 2012. "Job creation and job destruction in EU agriculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 600-608.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Dries, Liesbeth & Kancs, d'Artis, 2010. "Job creation and job destruction in the EU agriculture," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61351, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2011. "Job Creation And Job Destruction In The Eu Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114430, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anesi, Vincent & De Donder, Philippe, 2009. "A Positive Theory of Unemployment Insurance and Employment Protection," CEPR Discussion Papers 7333, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin-Barroso, David & Nuñez-Serrano, Juan Andres & Turrion, Jaime & Velazquez, Francisco J., 2011. "The European Map of Job Flows," MPRA Paper 33602, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.