Characterization of exchange rate regimes based on scaling and correlation properties of volatility for ASEAN-5 countries
AbstractForeign currency exchange rate policies of ASEAN member countries have undergone tremendous changes following the 1997 Asian financial crisis. In this paper, we study the fractal and long-memory characteristics in the volatility of five ASEAN founding members’ exchange rates with respect to US dollar. The impact of exchange rate policies implemented by the ASEAN-5 countries on the currency fluctuations during pre-, mid- and post-crisis are briefly discussed. The time series considered are daily price returns, absolute returns and aggregated absolute returns, each partitioned into three segments based on the crisis regimes. These time series are then modeled using fractional Gaussian noise, fractionally integrated ARFIMA (0,d,0) and generalized Cauchy process. The first two stationary models provide the description of long-range dependence through Hurst and fractional differencing parameter, respectively. Meanwhile, the generalized Cauchy process offers independent estimation of fractal dimension and long memory exponent. In comparison, among the three models we found that the generalized Cauchy process showed greater sensitivity to transition of exchange rate regimes that were implemented by ASEAN-5 countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 371 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Volatility; Long-range dependence; Locally self-similar;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
NBER Working Papers
8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cheridito, Patrick, 2004. "Gaussian moving averages, semimartingales and option pricing," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 47-68, January.
- M. Pasquini & M. Serva, 2000. "Clustering of volatility as a multiscale phenomenon," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 195-201, July.
- Stanley, H.E. & Buldyrev, S.V. & Goldberger, A.L. & Havlin, S. & Peng, C.-K. & Simons, M., 1993. "Long-range power-law correlations in condensed matter physics and biophysics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 4-24.
- Baviera, Roberto & Vergni, Davide & Vulpiani, Angelo, 2000. "Markovian approximation in foreign exchange markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 280(3), pages 566-581.
- DeGennaro, Ramon P. & Shrieves, Ronald E., 1997. "Public information releases, private information arrival and volatility in the foreign exchange market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 295-315, December.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Selçuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2001. "Scaling properties of foreign exchange volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 289(1), pages 249-266.
- Grau-Carles, Pilar, 2000. "Empirical evidence of long-range correlations in stock returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 396-404.
- J. Bardet & G. Lang & E. Moulines & P. Soulier, 2000. "Wavelet Estimator of Long-Range Dependent Processes," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 85-99, January.
- Jensen, Mark J, 1999.
"Using wavelets to obtain a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long-memory parameter,"
39152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997. "Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter," Econometrics 9710002, EconWPA.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Liew, Venus Khim-sen & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Chong, Terence Tai-leung, 2004.
"Are Asian real exchange rates stationary?,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 313-316, June.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1993.
"Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals,"
NBER Working Papers
4503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K., 1995. "Fixing exchange rates A virtual quest for fundamentals," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-37, August.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1993. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," CEPR Discussion Papers 838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flood, R.P. & Rose, A.K., 1992. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," Papers 529, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Pasquini, Michele & Serva, Maurizio, 1999. "Multiscale behaviour of volatility autocorrelations in a financial market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 275-279, December.
- Baviera, Roberto & Pasquini, Michele & Serva, Maurizio & Vergni, Davide & Vulpiani, Angelo, 2002. "Antipersistent Markov behavior in foreign exchange markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 312(3), pages 565-576.
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- Serven, Luis & Frankel, Jeffrey & Fajnzylber, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio, 2000.
"Verifying exchange rate regimes,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2397, The World Bank.
- Ramikishen Rajan, 2002. "Exchange Rate Policy Options for Post-crisis Southeast Asia: Is There a Case for Currency Baskets?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 137-163, 01.
- Ausloos, M., 2000. "Statistical physics in foreign exchange currency and stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 285(1), pages 48-65.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J., 1996. "Modeling volatility persistence of speculative returns: A new approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 185-215, July.
- Kin-Yip Ho & Albert K Tsui, 2008.
"Volatility Dynamics in Foreign Exchange Rates : Further Evidence from the Malaysian Ringgit and Singapore Dollar,"
Finance Working Papers
22571, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kin-Yip Ho & Albert K Tsui, 2008. "Volatility Dynamics in Foreign Exchange Rates: Further Evidence from the Malaysian Ringgit and Singapore Dollar," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0805, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.