Characterization of exchange rate regimes based on scaling and correlation properties of volatility for ASEAN-5 countries
AbstractForeign currency exchange rate policies of ASEAN member countries have undergone tremendous changes following the 1997 Asian financial crisis. In this paper, we study the fractal and long-memory characteristics in the volatility of five ASEAN founding members’ exchange rates with respect to US dollar. The impact of exchange rate policies implemented by the ASEAN-5 countries on the currency fluctuations during pre-, mid- and post-crisis are briefly discussed. The time series considered are daily price returns, absolute returns and aggregated absolute returns, each partitioned into three segments based on the crisis regimes. These time series are then modeled using fractional Gaussian noise, fractionally integrated ARFIMA (0,d,0) and generalized Cauchy process. The first two stationary models provide the description of long-range dependence through Hurst and fractional differencing parameter, respectively. Meanwhile, the generalized Cauchy process offers independent estimation of fractal dimension and long memory exponent. In comparison, among the three models we found that the generalized Cauchy process showed greater sensitivity to transition of exchange rate regimes that were implemented by ASEAN-5 countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 371 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Volatility; Long-range dependence; Locally self-similar;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baviera, Roberto & Pasquini, Michele & Serva, Maurizio & Vergni, Davide & Vulpiani, Angelo, 2002. "Antipersistent Markov behavior in foreign exchange markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 312(3), pages 565-576.
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K., 1995.
"Fixing exchange rates A virtual quest for fundamentals,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-37, August.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1993. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," NBER Working Papers 4503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1993. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," CEPR Discussion Papers 838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flood, R.P. & Rose, A.K., 1992. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," Papers 529, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Fajnzylber, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L. & Serven, Luis, 2001.
"Verifying exchange rate regimes,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 351-386, December.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Selçuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2001. "Scaling properties of foreign exchange volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 289(1), pages 249-266.
- Stanley, H.E. & Buldyrev, S.V. & Goldberger, A.L. & Havlin, S. & Peng, C.-K. & Simons, M., 1993. "Long-range power-law correlations in condensed matter physics and biophysics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 4-24.
- Ramikishen Rajan, 2002. "Exchange Rate Policy Options for Post-crisis Southeast Asia: Is There a Case for Currency Baskets?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 137-163, 01.
- Pasquini, Michele & Serva, Maurizio, 1999. "Multiscale behaviour of volatility autocorrelations in a financial market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 275-279, December.
- J. Bardet & G. Lang & E. Moulines & P. Soulier, 2000. "Wavelet Estimator of Long-Range Dependent Processes," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 85-99, January.
- Jensen, Mark J, 1999.
"Using wavelets to obtain a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long-memory parameter,"
39152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997. "Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter," Econometrics 9710002, EconWPA.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J., 1996. "Modeling volatility persistence of speculative returns: A new approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 185-215, July.
- DeGennaro, Ramon P. & Shrieves, Ronald E., 1997. "Public information releases, private information arrival and volatility in the foreign exchange market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 295-315, December.
- Baviera, Roberto & Vergni, Davide & Vulpiani, Angelo, 2000. "Markovian approximation in foreign exchange markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 280(3), pages 566-581.
- Venus Khim-sen Liew & Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Terence Tai-leung Chong, 2003.
"Are Asian Real Exchange Rates Stationary?,"
0307002, EconWPA, revised 01 Nov 2004.
- Ausloos, M., 2000. "Statistical physics in foreign exchange currency and stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 285(1), pages 48-65.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
NBER Working Papers
8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grau-Carles, Pilar, 2000. "Empirical evidence of long-range correlations in stock returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 396-404.
- Cheridito, Patrick, 2004. "Gaussian moving averages, semimartingales and option pricing," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 47-68, January.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- M. Pasquini & M. Serva, 2000. "Clustering of volatility as a multiscale phenomenon," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 195-201, July.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Kin-Yip Ho & Albert K Tsui, 2008.
"Volatility Dynamics in Foreign Exchange Rates: Further Evidence from the Malaysian Ringgit and Singapore Dollar,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0805, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Kin-Yip Ho & Albert K Tsui, 2008. "Volatility Dynamics in Foreign Exchange Rates : Further Evidence from the Malaysian Ringgit and Singapore Dollar," Finance Working Papers 22571, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.