Probabilistic power indices for voting rules with abstention
AbstractIn this paper, we introduce eight power indices that admit a probabilistic interpretation for voting rules with abstention or with three levels of approval in the input, briefly (3, 2) games. We analyze the analogies and discrepancies between standard known indices for simple games and the proposed extensions for this more general context. A remarkable difference is that for (3, 2) games the proposed extensions of the Banzhaf index, Coleman index to prevent action and Coleman index to initiate action become non-proportional notions, contrarily to what succeeds for simple games. We conclude the work by providing procedures based on generating functions for weighted (3, 2) games, and extensible to (j,k) games, to efficiently compute them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 64 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roland Pongou & Bertrand Tchantcho & Lawrence Diffo Lambo, 2011.
"Political influence in multi-choice institutions: cyclicity, anonymity, and transitivity,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 157-178, February.
- Pongou, Roland & Tchantcho, Bertrand & Diffo Lambo, Lawrence, 2008. "Political Influence in Multi-Choice Institutions: Cyclicity, Anonymity and Transitivity," MPRA Paper 18240, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Oct 2009.
- Tchantcho, Bertrand & Lambo, Lawrence Diffo & Pongou, Roland & Engoulou, Bertrand Mbama, 2008. "Voters' power in voting games with abstention: Influence relation and ordinal equivalence of power theories," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 335-350, September.
- Carreras, Francesc & Freixas, Josep, 2008. "On ordinal equivalence of power measures given by regular semivalues," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 221-234, March.
- Josep Freixas, 2010. "On ordinal equivalence of the Shapley and Banzhaf values for cooperative games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 513-527, October.
- Annick Laruelle & Federico Valenciano, 2005. "Assessing success and decisiveness in voting situations," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 171-197, January.
- Josep Freixas & William S. Zwicker, 2003. "Weighted voting, abstention, and multiple levels of approval," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 399-431, December.
- Freixas, Josep & Zwicker, William S., 2009. "Anonymous yes-no voting with abstention and multiple levels of approval," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 428-444, November.
- Laruelle,Annick & Valenciano,Federico, 2008.
"Voting and Collective Decision-Making,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521873871, October.
- Rubinstein, Ariel, 1980. "Stability of decision systems under majority rule," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 150-159, October.
- Matthew Gould & Matthew Rablen, 2013.
"Equitable Representation in the Councils of the United Nations: Theory and Application,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4519, CESifo Group Munich.
- Matthew Gould & Matthew D. Rablen, 2013. "Equitable Representation in the Councils of the United Nations: Theory and Application," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 13-07, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Matthew Gould & Matthew D. Rablen, 2014. "Reform of the United Nations Security Council: Equity and Efficiency," CESifo Working Paper Series 4818, CESifo Group Munich.
- Freixas, Josep & Tchantcho, Bertrand & Tedjeugang, Narcisse, 2014. "Achievable hierarchies in voting games with abstention," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 236(1), pages 254-260.
- Sascha Kurz, 2014. "Measuring Voting Power in Convex Policy Spaces," Economies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(1), pages 45-77, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.