A Bayesian approach to statistical inference in stochastic DEA
AbstractStochastic DEA can deal effectively with noise in the non-parametric measurement of efficiency but unfortunately formal statistical inference on efficiency measures in not possible. In this paper, we provide a Bayesian approach to the problem organized around simulation techniques that allow for finite-sample inferences on efficiency scores. The new methods are applied to efficiency analysis of the Greek banking system for the period 1993-1999. The results show that the majority of the Greek banks operate close to best market practices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1999. " The Components of Output Growth: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(4), pages 455-87, November.
- van den Broeck, Julien & Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1994.
"Stochastic frontier models : A Bayesian perspective,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 273-303, April.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F.J. & Broeck, Julien Van den, . "Stochastic frontier models: a bayesian perspective," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/2823, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 2000. "Modeling the Sources of Output Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 284-99, July.
- Karafolas, S. & Mantakas, G., 1996. "A note on cost structure and economies of scale in Greek banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 377-387, March.
- Halkos, George & Salamouris, Dimitrios, 2001. "Efficiency Measures of the Greek Banking Sector: A Non-Parametric Approach for the Period 1997-1999," MPRA Paper 2858, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giokas, DI, 1991. "Bank branch operating efficiency: A comparative application of DEA and the loglinear model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 549-557.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1994.
"Bayesian Efficiency Analysis with a Flexible Form: The AIM Cost Function,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 339-46, July.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1994. "Bayesian efficiency analysis with a flexible form: The aim cost function," Discussion Paper 1994-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "On the use of panel data in stochastic frontier models with improper priors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Andrew N. Kleit & Dek Terrell, 2001. "Measuring Potential Efficiency Gains From Deregulation Of Electricity Generation: A Bayesian Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 523-530, August.
- Tsionas, E.G., 2001.
"Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients,"
DEOS Working Papers
130, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2002. "Stochastic frontier models with random coefficients," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 127-147.
- Tsionas, E.G., 2001. "Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients," Athens University of Economics and Business 130, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M. F. J., .
"Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1245, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 77-105.
- KOOP , Gary & OSIEWALSKI , Jacek & STEEL , Mark, 1995. "Bayesian Efficiency Analysis through Individual Effects : Hospital Cost Frontiers," CORE Discussion Papers 1995036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- H. Fried & C. Lovell & S. Schmidt & S. Yaisawarng, 2002. "Accounting for Environmental Effects and Statistical Noise in Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 157-174, January.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Ole Olesen & Niels Petersen, 2002. "The Use of Data Envelopment Analysis with Probabilistic Assurance Regions for Measuring Hospital Efficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 83-109, January.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-66, September.
- Drake, L & Howcroft, B, 1994. "Relative efficiency in the branch network of a UK bank: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 83-90, January.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- Allen Berger & John Leusner & John Mingo, 1994.
"The Efficiency of Bank Branches,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
94-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Pasiouras, Fotios, 2008. "Estimating the technical and scale efficiency of Greek commercial banks: The impact of credit risk, off-balance sheet activities, and international operations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 301-318, September.
- Athanasios Noulas, 1997. "Productivity growth in the Hellenic banking industry: state versus private banks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 223-228.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Managi, Shunsuke & Matousek, Roman, 2012. "The technical efficiency of the Japanese banks: Non-radial directional performance measurement with undesirable output," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-8, January.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Rouatt, Stephen & Zhu, Haiyan, 2011. "Two-stage evaluation of bank branch efficiency using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 99-109, January.
- Hervé Leleu, 2012.
"Inner and Outer Approximations of Technology: A Shadow Profit Approach,"
2012-ECO-06, IESEG School of Management.
- Leleu, Hervé, 2013. "Inner and outer approximations of technology: A shadow profit approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 868-871.
- Assaf, A. George & Barros, Carlos & Sellers-Rubio, Ricardo, 2011. "Efficiency determinants in retail stores: a Bayesian framework," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 283-292, June.
- Friesner, Daniel & Mittelhammer, Ron & Rosenman, Robert, 2013. "Inferring the incidence of industry inefficiency from DEA estimates," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(2), pages 414-424.
- Merkert, Rico & Hensher, David A., 2011. "The impact of strategic management and fleet planning on airline efficiency - A random effects Tobit model based on DEA efficiency scores," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 686-695, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.