Productivity growth in the Hellenic banking industry: state versus private banks
AbstractThis paper investigates the productivity growth of the Hellenic banking industry employing the Malmquist productivity index on data for 1991 and 1992. The results indicate that although productivity has increased for both state and private banks, the sources of this growth are different. State banks' productivity growth comes from technological progress while private banks', from increased efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rezitis, Anthony N., 2008. "Efficiency and productivity effects of bank mergers: Evidence from the Greek banking industry," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 236-254, March.
- Chang, Shun-Chiao & Chang, Jui-Chuan Della & Huang, Tai-Hsin, 2012. "Assessing market power in the U.S. commercial banking industry under deregulation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1558-1565.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Lolos, Sarantis E. G. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2002. "Efficiency of the Greek banking system in view of the EMU: a heteroscedastic stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 813-829, December.
- Kent Matthews & Nina Zhang, 2009.
"Bank Productivity in China 1997-2007: An Exercise in Measurement,"
252009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina, 2009. "Bank Productivity in China 1997-2007: An Exercise in Measurement," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/14, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Pasiouras, Fotios, 2008. "Estimating the technical and scale efficiency of Greek commercial banks: The impact of credit risk, off-balance sheet activities, and international operations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 301-318, September.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Georgiou, Evangelia & Staikouras, Christos, 2008.
"Assessing output and productivity growth in the banking industry,"
31996, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Georgiou, Evangelia A. & Staikouras, Christos C., 2009. "Assessing output and productivity growth in the banking industry," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 1317-1340, November.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Evangelia A. Georgiou & Christos C. Staikouras, 2008. "Assessing Output and Productivity Growth in the Banking Industry," Working Papers 92, Bank of Greece.
- Siriopoulos, Costas & Tziogkidis, Panagiotis, 2010. "How do Greek banking institutions react after significant events?--A DEA approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 294-308, October.
- A.I. Dimitras & K. Kosmidou & A.K. Apostolou, 2010. "Bank efficiency estimation and the change of the accounting standards: evidence from Greece," International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1), pages 20-39.
- Daley, Jenifer & Matthews, Kent, 2009. "Measuring post-crisis productivity for Jamaican banks," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/29, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Mohammad Hanif Akhtar, 2010. "Are Saudi banks productive and efficient?," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 95-112, June.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Ken Johnston & John Hatem & Thomas A. Carnes, 2010. "Investor education: how plan sponsors should report your returns," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 354-363, April.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Barry Williams, 2002. "Deregulation, Entry of Foreign Banks and Bank Efficiency in Australia," CESifo Working Paper Series 816, CESifo Group Munich.
- Giorgos Argitis & Stella Michopoulou, 2013. "Studies in Financial Systems No 4 Financialization and the Greek Financial System," FESSUD studies fstudy04, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Fotios Pasiouras & Aggeliki Liadaki & Constantin Zopounidis, 2008. "Bank efficiency and share performance: evidence from Greece," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(14), pages 1121-1130.
- Prodromos D. Chatzoglou & Anastasios D. Diamantidis & Eftichia Vraimaki & Elena Polychrou & Kyriakos Chatzitheodorou, 2010. "Banking productivity: an overview of the Greek banking system," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(12), pages 1007-1027, December.
- Tsionas, Efthymios G. & Papadakis, Emmanuel N., 2010. "A Bayesian approach to statistical inference in stochastic DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 309-314, October.
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina (Xu), 2010. "Bank productivity in China 1997-2007: Measurement and convergence," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 617-628, December.
- Anthony N. Rezitis, 2006. "Productivity growth in the Greek banking industry: A non-parametric approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 119-138, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.