Two-period pricing and ordering policy for the dominant retailer in a two-echelon supply chain with demand uncertainty
AbstractRetailing channels are increasingly being dominated by 'power' retailers who are in a position to dictate prices and ordering schedules to manufacturers and suppliers. A dominant retailer, such as Wal-Mart, has the 'power' to decide retail prices of products because there are so many manufacturers who are keen to sell their products through or to such a large and powerful retailer. Several products, such as electronic products, can be sold in the market for some periods during their lifecycles before they retreat, except when they are not popular with consumers after been introduced. Therefore, in case of such products, the retailer should not just consider a single-period pricing and ordering policy. It should make dynamic pricing and ordering decisions based on market demand forecast, in order to obtain maximum cumulative profit from the product during its lifecycle. In this study, we consider this scenario and construct a two-period model to discuss pricing and ordering problems for a dominant retailer with demand uncertainty in a declining price environment. We show that the maximum expected profit function is continuous concave, so the optimal solution to pricing and ordering policy exists and it is the one and only. We also analyze sensitivity of retailer's expected profit to the effects of parameters of price-discount sharing scheme and market demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James P. Monahan, 1984. "A Quantity Discount Pricing Model to Increase Vendor Profits," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(6), pages 720-726, June.
- Terry A. Taylor, 2001. "Channel Coordination Under Price Protection, Midlife Returns, and End-of-Life Returns in Dynamic Markets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(9), pages 1220-1234, September.
- Fernando Bernstein & Awi Federgruen, 2005. "Decentralized Supply Chains with Competing Retailers Under Demand Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 18-29, January.
- Hill, Roger M., 2006. "Inventory control with indivisible units of stock transfer," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 593-601, November.
- Parlar, Mahmut, 1997. "Continuous-review inventory problem with random supply interruptions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 366-385, June.
- Sucky, Eric, 2005. "Inventory management in supply chains: A bargaining problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 253-262, January.
- Mahadevan, B. & Pyke, David F. & Fleischmann, Moritz, 2003. "Periodic review, push inventory policies for remanufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 536-551, December.
- Bhattacharjee, Sudip & Ramesh, R., 2000. "A multi-period profit maximizing model for retail supply chain management: An integration of demand and supply-side mechanisms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 122(3), pages 584-601, May.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang, 2003. "Effects of a demand-curve's shape on the optimal solutions of a multi-echelon inventory/pricing model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 530-548, June.
- Hau L. Lee & Meir J. Rosenblatt, 1986. "A Generalized Quantity Discount Pricing Model to Increase Supplier's Profits," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(9), pages 1177-1185, September.
- Mantrala, Murali K. & Raman, Kalyan, 1999. "Demand uncertainty and supplier's returns policies for a multi-store style-good retailer," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 270-284, June.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Zhou, Yong-Wu, 2007. "A stochastic and asymmetric-information framework for a dominant-manufacturer supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 295-316, January.
- Ding, Ding & Chen, Jian, 2008. "Coordinating a three level supply chain with flexible return policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 865-876, October.
- Zerrillo, Philip & lacobucci, Dawn, 1995. "Trade promotions: A call for a more rational approach," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 69-76.
- Munson, Charles L. & Rosenblatt, Meir J. & Rosenblatt, Zehava, 1999. "The use and abuse of power in supply chains," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 55-65.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Wang, Jian-Cai, 2008. "How a dominant retailer might design a purchase contract for a newsvendor-type product with price-sensitive demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(2), pages 443-458, October.
- Kelle, Peter & Al-khateeb, Faisal & Anders Miller, Pam, 2003. "Partnership and negotiation support by joint optimal ordering/setup policies for JIT," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 431-441, January.
- Jagmohan Raju & Z. John Zhang, 2005. "Channel Coordination in the Presence of a Dominant Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(2), pages 254-262, February.
- Li, Jian & Wang, Shouyang & Cheng, T.C. Edwin, 2008. "Analysis of postponement strategy by EPQ-based models with planned backorders," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 777-788, October.
- Chiang, Chi, 2006. "Optimal ordering policies for periodic-review systems with replenishment cycles," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 44-56, April.
- Wee, H.M. & Yu, Jonas & Chen, M.C., 2007. "Optimal inventory model for items with imperfect quality and shortage backordering," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 7-11, February.
- Cetinkaya, S. & Parlar, M., 1998. "Optimal myopic policy for a stochastic inventory problem with fixed and proportional backorder costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 20-41, October.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Zhang, Cheng & Tan, Gek-Woo & Robb, David J. & Zheng, Xin, 2006. "Sharing shipment quantity information in the supply chain," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 427-438, October.
- Z. Kevin Weng, 1995. "Channel Coordination and Quantity Discounts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1509-1522, September.
- Tang, Shao-Long & Yan, Hong, 2010. "Pre-distribution vs. post-distribution for cross-docking with transshipments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 192-202, June.
- Rana, Rupal & Oliveira, Fernando S., 2014. "Real-time dynamic pricing in a non-stationary environment using model-free reinforcement learning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 116-126.
- Huang, Ximin & Gu, Jia-Wen & Ching, Wai-Ki & Siu, Tak-Kuen, 2014. "Impact of secondary market on consumer return policies and supply chain coordination," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 57-70.
- Kim, Sang-Won & Bell, Peter C., 2011. "Optimal pricing and production decisions in the presence of symmetrical and asymmetrical substitution," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 528-538, October.
- Hsieh, Ying-Jiun, 2011. "Demand switching criteria for multiple products: An inventory cost analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 130-137, April.
- Shi, Jianmai & Zhang, Guoqing, 2010. "Multi-product budget-constrained acquisition and pricing with uncertain demand and supplier quantity discounts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 322-331, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.