Deposit insurance and bank risk-taking: Evidence from internal loan ratings
AbstractWe analyze the effect of deposit insurance on the risk-taking behavior of banks in the context of a quasi-natural experiment using detailed credit registry data. Using the case of an emerging economy, Bolivia, which introduced a deposit insurance system during the sample period, we compare the risk-taking behavior of banks before and after the introduction of this system. We find that in the post-deposit insurance period, banks are more likely to initiate riskier loans (i.e., loans with worse internal ratings at origination). These loans carry higher interest rates and are associated with worse ex-post performance (i.e., they have higher default and delinquency rates). Banks do not seem to compensate for the extra risk by increasing collateral requirements or decreasing loan maturities. We also find evidence that the increase in risk-taking is due to the decrease in market discipline from large depositors. Finally, differences between large (too-big-to-fail) and small banks diminished in the post-deposit insurance period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Intermediation.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622875
Other versions of this item:
- Ioannidou, V. & Penas, M.F., 2008. "Deposit Insurance and Bank Risk-Taking: Evidence from Internal Loan Ratings," Discussion Paper 2008-022, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1995.
"Explaining Bank Failures: Deposit Insurance, Regulation, and Efficiency,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 689-700, November.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1993. "Explaining bank failures: deposit insurance, regulation, and efficiency," Working Papers 1993-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Wheelock, David C, 1992. "Deposit Insurance and Bank Failures: New Evidence from the 1920s," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(3), pages 530-43, July.
- Luoto, Jill & McIntosh, Craig & Wydick, Bruce, 2007. "Credit Information Systems in Less Developed Countries: A Test with Microfinance in Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 313-34, January.
- Karels, Gordon V. & McClatchey, Christine A., 1999. "Deposit insurance and risk-taking behavior in the credit union industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 105-134, January.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V, 1994. "Moral Hazard and Secured Lending in an Infinitely Repeated Credit Market Game," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(4), pages 899-920, November.
- María Soledad Martínez-Peria & Sergio Schmukler, 2002.
"Do Depositors Punish Banks for Bad Behavior? Market Discipline, Deposit Insurance, and Banking Crises,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (S (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 5, pages 143-174
Central Bank of Chile.
- Maria Soledad Martinez Peria, 2001. "Do Depositors Punish Banks for Bad Behavior? Market Discipline, Deposit Insurance, and Banking Crises," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 1029-1051, 06.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2006.
"Determinants of deposit-insurance adoption and design,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3849, The World Bank.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2008. "Determinants of deposit-insurance adoption and design," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 407-438, July.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Edward J. Kane & Luc Laeven, 2007. "Determinants of Deposit-Insurance Adoption and Design," NBER Working Papers 12862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Broecker, Thorsten, 1990. "Credit-Worthiness Tests and Interbank Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 429-52, March.
- Armen Hovakimian & Edward J. Kane, 2000. "Effectiveness of Capital Regulation at U.S. Commercial Banks, 1985 to 1994," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 451-468, 02.
- Alston Lee J. & Grove Wayne A. & Wheelock David C., 1994. "Why Do Banks Fail? Evidence from the 1920s," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 409-431, October.
- Hernán Ortiz-Molina & María Penas, 2008.
"Lending to small businesses: the role of loan maturity in addressing information problems,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 361-383, April.
- Ortiz-Molina, H. & Penas, M.F., 2004. "Lending to Small Businesses: The Role of Loan Maturity in Adressing Information Problems," Discussion Paper 2004-99, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Penas, Maria Fabiana & Unal, Haluk, 2004. "Gains in bank mergers: Evidence from the bond markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 149-179, October.
- Armen Hovakimian & Edward J. Kane & Luc Laeven, 2002.
"How Country and Safety-Net Characteristics Affect Bank Risk-Shifting,"
NBER Working Papers
9322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Armen Hovakimian & Edward Kane & Luc Laeven, 2003. "How Country and Safety-Net Characteristics Affect Bank Risk-Shifting," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 177-204, June.
- Hovakimian, Armen & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2002. "How Country and Safety-Net Characteristics Affect Bank Risk-Shifting," CEI Working Paper Series 2002-10, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jill Luoto & Craig McIntosh & Bruce Wydick, 2007. "Credit Information Systems in Less Developed Countries: A Test with Microfinance in Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 313-334.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka, 2004.
"Deposit insurance, moral hazard and market monitoring,"
Working Paper Series
0302, European Central Bank.
- Reint Gropp & Jukka Vesala, 2002. "Deposit insurance, moral hazard, and market monitoring," Proceedings 823, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Ioannidou, V. & Dreu, J. de, 2006.
"The Impact of Explicit Deposit Insurance on Market Discipline,"
2006-5, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Vasso Ioannidou & Jan de Dreu, 2006. "The Impact of Explicit Deposit Insurance on Market Discipline," DNB Working Papers 089, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Vasso P. Ioannidou & Jan de Dreu, 2005. "The impact of explicit deposit insurance on market discipline," Proceedings 992, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Laeven, Luc, 2004.
"The political economy of deposit insurance,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3247, The World Bank.
- Grossman, Richard S, 1992. "Deposit Insurance, Regulation, and Moral Hazard in the Thrift Industry: Evidence from the 1930's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 800-821, September.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- John R. Graham & Si Li & Jiaping Qiu, 2007.
"Corporate Misreporting and Bank Loan Contracting,"
NBER Working Papers
13708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pennacchi, George G., 1987. "Alternative forms of deposit insurance : Pricing and bank incentive issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 291-312, June.
- Randall S. Kroszner & Philip E. Strahan, 2001. "Obstacles to Optimal Policy: The Interplay of Politics and Economics in Shaping Bank Supervision and Regulation Reforms," NBER Chapters, in: Prudential Supervision: What Works and What Doesn't, pages 233-272 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bester, Helmut, 1985. "Screening vs. Rationing in Credit Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 850-55, September.
- Besanko, David & Thakor, Anjan V, 1987. "Collateral and Rationing: Sorting Equilibria in Monopolistic and Competitive Credit Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 671-89, October.
- Vasso Ioannidou & Steven Ongena, 2010. ""Time for a Change": Loan Conditions and Bank Behavior when Firms Switch Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1847-1877, October.
- David Besanko & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004.
"Competitive Equilibrium in the Credit Market under Asymmetric Information,"
- Besanko, David & Thakor, Anjan V., 1987. "Competitive equilibrium in the credit market under asymmetric information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 167-182, June.
- Park, Sangkyun & Peristiani, Stavros, 1998. "Market Discipline by Thrift Depositors," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 347-64, August.
- Thorsten Beck & Samuel Munzele Maimbo & Issa Faye & Thouraya Triki, 2011.
"Financing Africa : Through the Crisis and Beyond,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2355, March.
- Diana Bonfim & Moshe Kim, 2012. "Liquidity risk in banking: is there herding?," Working Papers w201218, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski , Oskar & Kozlowski , Lukasz, 2013.
"Market discipline during crisis: Evidence from bank depositors in transition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
21/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2013. "Market discipline during crisis: Evidence from bank depositors in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5436-5451.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2012. "Market Discipline during Crisis: Evidence from Bank Depositors in Transition Countries," MPRA Paper 43693, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis Brandao-Marques & Ricardo Correa & Horacio Sapriza, 2013.
"International evidence on government support and risk taking in the banking sector,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
1086, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- LuÃs BrandÃ£o Marques & Ricardo Correa & Horacio Sapriza, 2013. "International Evidence on Government Support and Risk Taking in the Banking Sector," IMF Working Papers 13/94, International Monetary Fund.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Agnese Leonello, 2011. "Deposit insurance and risk taking," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 464-478.
- Pilar Gómez-Fernández-Aguado & Antonio Partal-Ureña & Antonio Trujillo-Ponce, 2013. "Evaluating the effects of the EU directive proposal for risk-based deposit insurance premiums in Spain," Working Papers 13.01, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Financial Economics and Accounting (former Department of Business Administration).
- Koen Rossel-Cambier, 2012. "Can Combined Microfinance Boost Economic Results? An Empirical Cross-sectional Analysis," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 2, pages 79-94, August.
- Westman, Hanna, 2011. "The impact of management and board ownership on profitability in banks with different strategies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3300-3318.
- Koen Rossel-Cambier, 2011. "Is Combined Microfinance an Instrument to enhance Sustainable Pro-Poor Public Policy Outcomes?," Working Papers CEB 11-013, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jokivuolle, Esa & Keppo, Jussi, 2014. "Bankers' compensation: Sprint swimming in short bonus pools?," Research Discussion Papers 2/2014, Bank of Finland.
- Brahim Guizani & Wako Watanabe, 2010. "The Deposit Insurance and the Risk-Shifting Incentive Evidence from the Blanket Deposit Insurance in Japan," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2010-004, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Kneer, E.C., 2013. "Essays on the size of the financial aector, financial liberalization and growth," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5930486, Tilburg University.
- Raquel de F. Oliveira & Rafael F. Schiozer & Lucas A. B. de C. Barros, 2011. "Too Big to Fail Perception by Depositors: an empirical investigation," Working Papers Series 233, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.