Effectiveness of Capital Regulation at U.S. Commercial Banks, 1985 to 1994
AbstractUnless priced and administered appropriately, a governmental safety net enhances risk-shifting opportunities for banks. This paper quantifies regulatory efforts to use capital requirements to control risk-shifting by U.S. banks during 1985 to 1994 and investigates how much risk-based capital requirements and other deposit-insurance reforms improved this control. We find that capital discipline did not prevent large banks from shifting risk onto the safety net. Banks with low capital and debt-to-deposits ratios overcame outside discipline better than other banks. Mandates introduced by 1991 legislation have improved but did not establish full regulatory control over bank risk-shifting incentives. Copyright The American Finance Association 2000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 55 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li Ma & Junxun Dai & Xian Huang, 2011. "Effect of capital constraints on risk preference behavior of commercial banks," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 168-186, April.
- Lehar, Alfred, 2005. "Measuring systemic risk: A risk management approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2577-2603, October.
- Kanas, Angelos, 2013. "Bank dividends, risk, and regulatory regimes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-10.
- Chortareas, Georgios E. & Girardone, Claudia & Ventouri, Alexia, 2012. "Bank supervision, regulation, and efficiency: Evidence from the European Union," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 292-302.
- Ioannidou, V. & Penas, M.F., 2008.
"Deposit Insurance and Bank Risk-Taking: Evidence from Internal Loan Ratings,"
2008-022, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Ioannidou, Vasso P. & Penas, María Fabiana, 2010. "Deposit insurance and bank risk-taking: Evidence from internal loan ratings," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Gueyie, Jean-Pierre & Lai, Van Son, 2003. "Bank moral hazard and the introduction of official deposit insurance in Canada," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 247-273.
- Paul Calem & James Follain, 2007. "Regulatory Capital Arbitrage and the Potential Competitive Impact of Basel II in the Market for Residential Mortgages," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 197-219, August.
- Viral V. Acharya & Thomas Cooley & Matthew Richardson & Ingo Walter, 2011.
"Market Failures and Regulatory Failures : Lessons from Past and Present Financial Crises,"
Finance Working Papers
23273, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Viral V. Acharya & Thomas Cooley & Matthew Richardson & Ingo Walter, 2011. "Market Failures and Regulatory Failures : Lessons from Past and Present Financial Crises," Governance Working Papers 23273, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Viral V. Acharya & Thomas Cooley & Matthew Richardson & Ingo Walter, 2011. "Market Failures and Regulatory Failures : Lessons from Past and Present Financial Crises," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23273, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Cooley, Thomas & Richardson, Matthew & Walter, Ingo, 2011. "Market Failures and Regulatory Failures: Lessons from Past and Present Financial Crises," ADBI Working Papers 264, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Jacques, Kevin T., 2001. "The impact of FDICIA and prompt corrective action on bank capital and risk: Estimates using a simultaneous equations model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1139-1160, June.
- Blasko, Matej & Sinkey, Joseph Jr., 2006. "Bank asset structure, real-estate lending, and risk-taking," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 53-81, February.
- Ryan Stever & James A Wilcox, 2007. "Regulatory discretion and banks' pursuit of "safety in similarity"," BIS Working Papers 235, Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.