Credit Information Systems in Less Developed Countries: A Test with Microfinance in Guatemala
AbstractIncreases in formal sector lending among the poor have created a need for credit information systems that provide potential lenders with borrower information. In this article we present fixed-effects estimations that attempt to measure the effect of a newly implemented credit information system in Guatemala. Our results indicate that improved screening effects from the system caused the level of portfolio arrears to decline approximately 2 percentage points after it was implemented in branch offices. We observe an even more substantial and significant effect of the information system in reducing late payments that occur during the loan cycle.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Volume (Year): 55 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caterina Giannetti & Nicola Jentzsch & Giancarlo Spagnolo, 2010.
"Information Sharing and Cross-border Entry in European Banking,"
CEIS Research Paper
178, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 21 Dec 2010.
- Caterina Giannetti & Nicola Jentzsch & Giancarlo Spagnolo, 2010. "Information Sharing and Cross-border Entry in European Banking," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 980, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Giannetti, Caterina & Jentzsch, Nicola & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2010. "Information Sharing and Cross-Border Entry in European Banking," ECRI Papers 2990, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Behr, Patrick & Sonnekalb, Simon, 2012. "The effect of information sharing between lenders on access to credit, cost of credit, and loan performance – Evidence from a credit registry introduction," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 3017-3032.
- Deininger, Klaus & Liu, Yanyan, 2009. "Determinants of repayment performance in Indian micro-credit groups," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4885, The World Bank.
- Ioannidou, V. & Penas, M.F., 2008.
"Deposit Insurance and Bank Risk-Taking: Evidence from Internal Loan Ratings,"
2008-022, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Ioannidou, Vasso P. & Penas, María Fabiana, 2010. "Deposit insurance and bank risk-taking: Evidence from internal loan ratings," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 95-115, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.