English auctions and the Stolper-Samuelson theorem
AbstractWe prove that the English auction (with bidders that need not be ex ante identical and may have interdependent valuations) has an efficient ex post equilibrium. We establish this result for environments where it has not been previously obtained. We also prove two versions of the Stolper-Samuelson theorem, one for economies with n goods and n factors, and one for non-square economies. Similar assumptions and methods underlie these seemingly unrelated results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 144 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Auction theory International trade Monotone comparative statics Global univalence;
Other versions of this item:
- Dubra, Juan & Echenique, Federico & Manelli, Alejandro, 2007. "English auctions and the Stolper-Samuelson theorem," MPRA Paper 8218, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Birulin, Oleksii & Izmalkov, Sergei, 2011.
"On efficiency of the English auction,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1398-1417, July.
- Robert Wilson, 1998. "Sequential equilibria of asymmetric ascending auctions: The case of log-normal distributions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 433-440.
- Paul Milgrom & Robert J. Weber, 1981.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
447R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Ethier, Wilfred J., 1984. "Higher dimensional issues in trade theory," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 131-184 Elsevier.
- Chipman, John S, 1969. "Factor Price Equalization and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(3), pages 399-406, October.
- Krishna, Vijay, 2003. "Asymmetric English auctions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 261-288, October.
- Oleksii Birulin & Sergei Izmalkov, 2009.
"On Effciency of the English Auction,"
w0139, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Maximo Rossi & Cecilia Gonzalez, 2004.
"Participación femenina en el mercado de trabajo: efectos sobre la distribución del ingreso en el Uruguay,"
Labor and Demography
- Cecilia González & Máximo Rossi, 2003. "Participación femenina en el mercado de trabajo: efectos sobre la distribución del ingreso en el Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1203, Department of Economics - dECON.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00575076 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laurent Lamy, 2009. "Ascending auctions: some impossibility results and their resolutions with final price discounts," PSE Working Papers halshs-00575076, HAL.
- Andrés Pereyra, 2003. "Competencia en telefonía móvil en Uruguay: diseño de subastas, contratos y marco institucional," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0103, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Maximo Rossi & Carlos Casacuberta & Ianina Rossi, 2004.
"El arte y el éxito: un matrimonio incómodo,"
- Marisa Bucheli & Máximo Rossi, 2003. "El grado de conformidad con la vida: evidencia para las mujeres del Gran Montevideo," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1003, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Federico Echenique & Alejandro Manelli, 2003.
"Comparative Statics, English Auctions, and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Federico Echenique & Alejandro Manelli, 2003. "Comparative Statics, English Auctions and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0503, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Echenique, Federico & Manelli, Alejandro M., 2003. "Comparative Statics, English Auctions, and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem," Working Papers 1178, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.