Learning and adaptation's impact on market efficiency
AbstractA dynamic model with learning and adaptation captures the evolution in trader beliefs and trading strategies. Through a process of learning and observation, traders improve their understanding of the market. Traders also engage in a process of adaptation by switching between trading strategies based on past performance. The asymptotic properties are derived analytically, demonstrating that convergence to efficiency depends on the model of adaptation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Volume (Year): 76 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo
Market efficiency Learning Dynamic systems;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaunersdorfer, Andrea & Hommes, Cars H. & Wagener, Florian O.O., 2008.
"Bifurcation routes to volatility clustering under evolutionary learning,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 27-47, July.
- Gaunersdorfer, A. & Hommes, C.H. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2003. "Bifurcation Routes to Volatility Clustering under Evolutionary Learning," CeNDEF Working Papers 03-03, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Sethi, Rajiv & Franke, Reiner, 1995. "Behavioural Heterogeneity under Evolutionary Pressure: Macroeconomic Implications of Costly Optimisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(430), pages 583-600, May.
- Brock, William A. & Hommes, Cars H., 1998.
"Heterogeneous beliefs and routes to chaos in a simple asset pricing model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1235-1274, August.
- Xue-Zhong (Tony) He & Carl Chiarella, 2001.
"Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics under Heterogeneous Expectations,"
CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001
5A.2, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- C. Chiarella & X-Z. He, 2001. "Asset price and wealth dynamics under heterogeneous expectations," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(5), pages 509-526.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2001. "Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics Under Heterogeneous Expectations," Research Paper Series 56, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Bray, Margaret, 1982. "Learning, estimation, and the stability of rational expectations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 318-339, April.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1908, David K. Levine.
- Guse, Eran A., 2010.
"Heterogeneous expectations, adaptive learning, and evolutionary dynamics,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 42-57, May.
- Eran A. Guse, 2008. "Heterogeneous Expectations, Adaptive Learning, and Evolutionary Dynamics," Working Papers 09-01, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- William A. Brock & Cars H. Hommes, 1997.
"A Rational Route to Randomness,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1059-1096, September.
- David Goldbaum, 2001.
"Market Efficiency and Learning in an Endogenously Unstable Environment,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
105, Society for Computational Economics.
- Goldbaum, David, 2005. "Market efficiency and learning in an endogenously unstable environment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 953-978, May.
- David Goldbaum, 2004. "Market Efficiency and Learning in an Endogenously Unstable Environment," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2004-002, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Dindo, P.D.E., 2006.
"Informational differences and learning in an asset market with boundedly rational agents,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
06-11, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Diks, Cees & Dindo, Pietro, 2008. "Informational differences and learning in an asset market with boundedly rational agents," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1432-1465, May.
- Pietro Dindo & Cees Diks, 2007. "Informational differences and learning in an asset market with boundedly rational agents," Working Papers wp07-06, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Marcet, Albert & Sargent, Thomas J, 1989. "Convergence of Least-Squares Learning in Environments with Hidden State Variables and Private Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1306-22, December.
- Marcet, Albert & Sargent, Thomas J., 1989. "Convergence of least squares learning mechanisms in self-referential linear stochastic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 337-368, August.
- Mikhail Anufriev & Jasmina Arifovic & John Ledyard & Valentyn Panchenko, 2013.
"Efficiency of continuous double auctions under individual evolutionary learning with full or limited information,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 539-573, July.
- Anufriev, M. & Arifovic, J. & Ledyard, D. & Panchenko, V., 2010. "Efficiency of Continuous Double Auctions under Individual Evolutionary Learning with Full or Limited Information," CeNDEF Working Papers 10-01, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Valentyn Panchenko & Sergiy Gerasymchuk & Oleg V. Pavlov, 2013. "Asset Price Dynamics with Heterogeneous Beliefs and Local Network Interactions," Discussion Papers 2013-18, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.