Foreign equity participation under incomplete information
AbstractThis paper demonstrates how an interaction between ownership rules and trade policy provides a rationale for a host government to impose local equity requirement (LER) on a foreign multinational. It presents a model where, in the presence of an import tariff, LER can serve as an effective instrument for a host government in removing any incentive for the multinational to mimic an inefficient firm when the government does not have complete information on the cost of the multinational's foreign unit. It is shown that the LER can increase national welfare by removing possible distortions under incomplete information. It is also shown that product market competition lowers the LER.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Volume (Year): 67 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2003. "Strategic outsourcing," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 203-224, February.
- Kolev, Dobrin R. & Prusa, Thomas J., 1999. "Tariff policy for a monopolist in a signaling game," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 51-76, October.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S H, 2000. "Domestic Equity Controls of Multinational Enterprises," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 68(3), pages 321-30, June.
- Marjit, Sugata, 1990.
"Rationalizing public-private joint ventures in an open economy : A strategic approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 377-383, October.
- Marjit, S., 1988. "Rationalizing Public-Private Joint Ventures In An Open Economy: A Strategic Approach," Papers 88-1, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Marjit, Sugata & Mukherjee, Arijit, 1998. "Technology Collaboration and Foreign Equity Participation: A Theoretical Analysis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 142-50, February.
- Ronald W. Jones & Sugata Marjit, 2001. "The Role of International Fragmentation in the Development Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 363-366, May.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2003.
"Privatization Policy in an International Oligopoly,"
Working Paper Series
608, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2005. "Privatization Policy in an International Oligopoly," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(288), pages 635-653, November.
- Paul Krugman, 1995. "Growing World Trade: Causes and Consequences," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 327-377.
- Perry, Martin K., 1989. "Vertical integration: Determinants and effects," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 183-255 Elsevier.
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1999.
"Reputation and Imperfect Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
238, David K. Levine.
- Swenson, Deborah L., 2001. "Tax Reforms and Evidence of Transfer Pricing," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 1), pages 7-26, March Cit.
- Avik Chakrabarti & John S. Heywood, 2004. "Foreign Investment, Vertical Integration and Local Equity Requirements," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(284), pages 559-574, November.
- Sugata Marjit & Arijit Mukherjee, 2001. "Technology Transfer under Asymmetric Information: The Role of Equity Participation," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 157(2), pages 282-, June.
- Hong Hwang & Chao-Cheng Mai, 1991. "Optimum Discriminatory Tariffs under Oligopolistic Competition," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 693-702, August.
- Cho, In-Koo & Sobel, Joel, 1990. "Strategic stability and uniqueness in signaling games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 381-413, April.
- In-Koo Cho & David M. Kreps, 1997.
"Signaling Games and Stable Equilibria,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
896, David K. Levine.
- Dyuti Banerjee & Sugata Marjit, 2009. "Trade and technology transfer in a vertically differentiated industry," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 67-75, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.