Privatization of real options
AbstractMany privatization objects have characteristics of real options in the sense that a substantial investment is required in order to make the asset productive while at the same time there is uncertainty about the future value of the asset. This paper explores several auction designs for the privatization of such assets and shows how government revenues depend on the auction designs. As a benchmark, the paper analyzes revenues from an auction with cash only. It is demonstrated that a bid that includes a bidding firm's pledged investments at the time of investment as to stimulate regional development is inferior to a cash only bid. Investments which are made compulsory by the government at the time of the actual investment or retained shareholding by the government, both announced before the auction, can augment the government's payoff. Journal of Comparative Economics 36 (3) (2008) 489-497.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622864
Privatization Real options Ownership Restructuring;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1992.
"Privatization, Risk-Taking and the Communist Firm,"
Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM
9216, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994. "Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 203-231, October.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1993. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1995. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," NBER Working Papers 4205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991.
"Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects,"
DELTA Working Papers
91-21, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Roland, Gerard & Verdier, Thierry, 1994. "Privatization in Eastern Europe : Irreversibility and critical mass effects," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 161-183, June.
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 1992. "Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 612, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991. "Privatisation in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," Papers 9105, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- Riley, John G, 1988.
"Ex Post Information in Auctions,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 409-29, July.
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio, 1997.
"Determinants of Privatization Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 965-1025, November.
- Slade, Margaret E., 2001. "Valuing Managerial Flexibility: An Application of Real-Option Theory to Mining Investments," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 193-233, March.
- Katz, Barbara G. & Owen, Joel, 2000. "Choosing between Big-Bang and Gradualist Reforms: An Option Price Approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 95-107, March.
- Grosfeld, I. & Roland, G., 1995.
"Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises,"
DELTA Working Papers
95-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Grosfeld, Irena & Roland, Gérard, 1995. "Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises," CEPR Discussion Papers 1135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William L. Megginson & Robert C. Nash & Jeffry M. Netter & Annette B. Poulsen, 2004. "The Choice of Private Versus Public Capital Markets: Evidence from Privatizations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2835-2870, December.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Roland, Gerard, 1995.
"The Design of Reform Packages under Uncertainty,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1207-23, December.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1995. "The design of reform packages under uncertainty," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9607, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Roland, Gérard, 1993. "The Design of Reform Packages Under Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 860, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Carliss Y. & Bhattacharyya, Sugato, 1991. "Choosing the method of sale *1: A clinical study of Conrail," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 69-98, November.
- Cunningham, Christopher R., 2006. "House price uncertainty, timing of development, and vacant land prices: Evidence for real options in Seattle," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-57, April.
- Alberto Moel, 2002. "When Are Real Options Exercised? An Empirical Study of Mine Closings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 35-64, March.
- Rubinstein, Ariel, 1982.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 97-109, January.
- Jan Svejnar, 2002.
"Transition Economies: Performance and Challenges,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Saul Estrin, 2002. "Competition and Corporate Governance in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 101-124, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.