Privatization of real options
AbstractMany privatization objects have characteristics of real options in the sense that a substantial investment is required in order to make the asset productive while at the same time there is uncertainty about the future value of the asset. This paper explores several auction designs for the privatization of such assets and shows how government revenues depend on the auction designs. As a benchmark, the paper analyzes revenues from an auction with cash only. It is demonstrated that a bid that includes a bidding firm's pledged investments at the time of investment as to stimulate regional development is inferior to a cash only bid. Investments which are made compulsory by the government at the time of the actual investment or retained shareholding by the government, both announced before the auction, can augment the government's payoff. Journal of Comparative Economics 36 (3) (2008) 489-497.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622864
Privatization Real options Ownership Restructuring;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1993.
"Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994. "Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 203-231, October.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1995. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," NBER Working Papers 4205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994. "Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm," Munich Reprints in Economics 20039, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1992. "Privatization, Risk-Taking and the Communist Firm," Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM 9216, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- John G. Riley, 1986.
"Ex Post Information in Auctions,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
367, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio, 1997.
"Determinants of Privatization Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 965-1025, November.
- Rubinstein, Ariel, 1982.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 97-109, January.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991.
"Privatisation in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects,"
9105, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- Roland, Gerard & Verdier, Thierry, 1994. "Privatization in Eastern Europe : Irreversibility and critical mass effects," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 161-183, June.
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 1992. "Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 612, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991. "Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," DELTA Working Papers 91-21, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Baldwin, Carliss Y. & Bhattacharyya, Sugato, 1991. "Choosing the method of sale *1: A clinical study of Conrail," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 69-98, November.
- Cunningham, Christopher R., 2006. "House price uncertainty, timing of development, and vacant land prices: Evidence for real options in Seattle," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-31, January.
- William L. Megginson & Robert C. Nash & Jeffry M. Netter & Annette B. Poulsen, 2004. "The Choice of Private Versus Public Capital Markets: Evidence from Privatizations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2835-2870, December.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1995.
"The design of reform packages under uncertainty,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9607, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Grosfeld, Irena & Roland, Gérard, 1995.
"Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grosfeld, I. & Roland, G., 1995. "Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises," DELTA Working Papers 95-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Jan Svejnar, 2002.
"Transition Economies: Performance and Challenges,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- Saul Estrin, 2002. "Competition and Corporate Governance in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 101-124, Winter.
- Alberto Moel, 2002. "When Are Real Options Exercised? An Empirical Study of Mine Closings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 35-64, March.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-57, April.
- Slade, Margaret E., 2001. "Valuing Managerial Flexibility: An Application of Real-Option Theory to Mining Investments," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 193-233, March.
- Katz, Barbara G. & Owen, Joel, 2000. "Choosing between Big-Bang and Gradualist Reforms: An Option Price Approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 95-107, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.