Methods of Privatization: Auctions, Bargaining and Give-Aways
AbstractThe paper surveys recent results of auction theory, bargaining theory and political economy in order to compare different methods of privatization. We assume that a government is not only interested in maximizing revenues from privatization, but also in achieving an efficient allocation of ownership rights. We show that these two goals may conflict with each other. We argue that in a wide variety of circumstances the government should use an ascending open bid format, however, such as the traditional English auction. In particular, if there are more than two serious bidders, an English auction is more efficient and yields higher revenues than bargaining with a preselected buyer. Finally, if the government has to mass privatize, we show that giving away some fraction of all shares to the general population may be more efficient and yield higher revenues than a policy of selling all firms to the highest bidder.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1541.
Date of creation: Jan 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pehr-Johan Norback & Lars Persson, 2004.
"Privatization and Restructuring in Concentrated Markets,"
2004.107, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2005. "Privatization and Restructuring in Concentrated Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 4871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2003. "Privatization and Restructuring in Concentrated Markets," Working Paper Series 605, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Patrick W. Schmitz, 2000.
"Partial Privatization and Incomplete Contracts: The Proper Scope of Government Reconsidered,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(4), pages 394-411, August.
- Schmitz, Patrick W., 2000. "Partial Privatization and Incomplete Contracts: The Proper Scope of Government Reconsidered," MPRA Paper 13447, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Modén, Karl-Markus & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2007.
"Efficiency and Ownership Structure – The Case of Poland,"
Working Paper Series
703, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Karl-Markus Modén & Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2008. "Efficiency and Ownership Structure: The Case of Poland," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 437-460, 03.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2005.
"Privatization Policy in an International Oligopoly,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(288), pages 635-653, November.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2003. "Privatization Policy in an International Oligopoly," Working Paper Series 608, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2003.
"Endogenous Asset Ownership Structures in Deregulated Markets,"
Working Paper Series
604, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Norback, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2006. "Endogenous asset ownership structures in deregulated markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1729-1752, October.
- Persson, Lars & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan, 2001.
"Privatization and Foreign Competition,"
Working Paper Series
545, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 02 Feb 2001.
- Gupta, Asha, 1998. "Privatization in East Germany: Can the Treuhandanstalt provide a model?," Kiel Working Papers 849, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Hai Wang & Weidong Zhang & Jingjing Wang, 2007. "Auctioning the state owned enterprise in China: the trade-off between maximizing revenue and minimizing unemployment," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 267-280, September.
- Siegmund, Uwe, 1997. "Wie privatisieren und wer privatisiert? Zur Erklärung der Wahl der Privatisierungsmethode und -organisation," Kiel Working Papers 812, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Monika Schnitzer, 2003. "Privatisierung in Osteuropa: Strategien und Ergebnisse," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4(3), pages 359-378, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.