Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises
AbstractThis paper interprets the existing evidence on enterprise restructuring in Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic. Despite differences in restructuring policies, the pattern of observed restructuring appears similar in the three countries. Contrary to initial expectations, managers of SOEs have engaged in significant adjustment activities. We argue that such behaviour is due to dramatic changes in the market environment of firms and in their perceived incentive structure. It appears, however, that the adjustment measures have mainly had a defensive character restricted to labour-shedding and downsizing activities. Strategic restructuring, involving thoughtful business projects and modernization investments, is much more limited. We argue that progress on strategic restructuring requires both progress in ownership transformation and in financial reform. A crucial role could be played by intermediaries playing the role of venture capital funds.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure) in its series DELTA Working Papers with number 95-18.
Length: 56 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Emergo, Journal of Transforming Economies and Societies, 3(4), 1996
ECONOMIC REFORM; ECONOMIC POLICY;
Other versions of this item:
- Grosfeld, Irena & Roland, Gérard, 1995. "Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises," CEPR Discussion Papers 1135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- L21 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Business Objectives of the Firm
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
- P52 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Studies of Particular Economies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.