Human resource outsourcing: Market and operating performance effects of administrative HR functions
AbstractUsing event study methodology and two-stage regression analysis on a sample of firms announcing human resource outsourcing (HRO) contracts, this study tests the association between administrative HRO and firm-level capital market and long run operating performance, with archival financial data controlling for endogeneity and outsourcing decision optimality. The results demonstrate that the equity capital market responds positively to client firms announcing administrative HRO, particularly service firms and those outsourcing transactional HR tasks. Additional statistical analysis shows that suboptimal outsourcing is negatively associated with long run operating performance measured as return on assets and operating return on assets. This study contributes to outsourcing literature by more precisely quantifying outsourcing performance through archival financial data and employing capital market empirical tests. Further, it controls for outsourcing decision optimality in examining long run operating performance effects. This research focuses on HR, a critical function within the firm and value enhancing to the firm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 67 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Administrative human resource outsourcing; Capital market reaction; Operating performance; Endogeneity; Event study;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lai, Wen-Hsiang & Chang, Pao-Long, 2010. "Corporate motivation and performance in R&D alliances," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(5), pages 490-496, May.
- Bernd Görzig & Andreas Stephan, 2002.
"Outsourcing and Firm-level Performance,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
309, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christopher D. Ittner, 2002. "The Association Between Activity-Based Costing and Manufacturing Performance," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 711-726, 06.
- Gilley, K. Matthew & Greer, Charles R. & Rasheed, Abdul A., 2004. "Human resource outsourcing and organizational performance in manufacturing firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 232-240, March.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2005.
"Outsourcing in a Global Economy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 135-159.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1966, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," Working Papers 149, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics..
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 8728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," Papers 218, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3165, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1998.
"Market efficiency, long-term returns, and behavioral finance,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 283-306, September.
- Eugene F Fama, . "Market Efficiency, Long-Term Returns, and Behavioral Finance," CRSP working papers 448, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Eugene F. Fama, . "Market Efficiency, Long-term Returns, and Behavioral Finance," CRSP working papers 340, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Bharadwaj, Neeraj & Matsuno, Ken, 2006. "Investigating the antecedents and outcomes of customer firm transaction cost savings in a supply chain relationship," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 62-72, January.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Integration Versus Outsourcing In Industry Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 85-120, February.
- John M. Abowd & George T. Milkovich & John M. Hannon, 1989.
"The Effects of Human Resource Management Decisions on Shareholder Value,"
NBER Working Papers
3148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & George T. Milkovich & John M. Hannon, 1990. "The effects of human resource management decisions on shareholder value," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(3), pages 203-236, February.
- Boehmer, Ekkehart & Masumeci, Jim & Poulsen, Annette B., 1991. "Event-study methodology under conditions of event-induced variance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 253-272, December.
- De Vita, Glauco & Tekaya, Arafet & Wang, Catherine L., 2010. "Asset specificity's impact on outsourcing relationship performance: A disaggregated analysis by buyer-supplier asset specificity dimensions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 657-666, July.
- Greer, Charles R. & Ireland, Timothy C. & Wingender, John R., 2001. "Contrarian human resource investments and financial performance after economic downturns," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 249-261, June.
- Alessandri, Todd M. & Khan, Raihan H., 2006. "Market performance and deviance from industry norms: (Mis)alignment of organizational risk and industry risk," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1105-1115, October.
- David F. Larcker & Tjomme O. Rusticus, 2007. "Endogeneity and Empirical Accounting Research," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 207-215.
- Sashi, C. M. & Stern, Louis W., 1995. "Product differentiation and market performance in producer goods industries," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 115-127, June.
- Robert H. Chenhall & Frank Moers, 2007. "The Issue of Endogeneity within Theory-Based, Quantitative Management Accounting Research," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 173-196.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-77, December.
- Lee, Cheng-Wen, 2007. "Strategic alliances influence on small and medium firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 731-741, July.
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2004.
"Does Outsourcing Increase Profitability?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1372, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pilling, Bruce K. & Crosby, Lawrence A. & Jackson, Donald Jr., 1994. "Relational bonds in industrial exchange: An experimental test of the transaction cost economic framework," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 237-251, July.
- Marciukaityte, Dalia & Roskelley, Kenneth & Wang, Hua, 2009. "Strategic alliances by financial services firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1193-1199, November.
- Lui, Steven S. & Wong, Yin-yee & Liu, Weiping, 2009. "Asset specificity roles in interfirm cooperation: Reducing opportunistic behavior or increasing cooperative behavior?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1214-1219, November.
- Singh, Manohar & Nejadmalayeri, Ali & Mathur, Ike, 2007. "Performance impact of business group affiliation: An analysis of the diversification-performance link in a developing economy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 339-347, April.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Lohtia, Ritu & Brooks, Charles M. & Krapfel, Robert E., 1994. "What constitutes a transaction-specific asset? : An examination of the dimensions and types," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 261-270, July.
- Varadarajan, Rajan, 2009. "Outsourcing: Think more expansively," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1165-1172, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.