Innovation, organizational learning, and performance
AbstractLiterature examines the relationship between innovation and performance and asserts a positive relationship between organizational learning and both performance and innovation. However, few empirical studies analyze these relationships together. This article explores those relationships using SEM with data from 451 Spanish firms. The findings show that both variables -- organizational learning and innovation -- contribute positively to business performance, and that organizational learning affects innovation. Another finding of this study is that size and age of the firm, industry and environmental turbulence moderate these relations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Innovation Organizational learning Performance SEM;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franklyn A Manu, 1992. "Innovation Orientation, Environment and Performance: A Comparison of U.S. and European Markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 333-359, June.
- Nick Bontis, 2002. "Managing An Organizational Learning System By Aligning Stocks and Flows," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 437-469, 06.
- Scherer, F M, 1992. "Schumpeter and Plausible Capitalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1416-33, September.
- Weerawardena, Jay & O'Cass, Aron & Julian, Craig, 2006. "Does industry matter? Examining the role of industry structure and organizational learning in innovation and brand performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 37-45, January.
- Kenneth E. Knight, 1967. "A Descriptive Model of the Intra-Firm Innovation Process," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40, pages 478.
- Forrester, Rosalind H., 2000. "Capturing Learning and Applying Knowledge: An Investigation of the Use of Innovation Teams in Japanese and American Automotive Firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 35-45, January.
- North, David & Smallbone, David & Vickers, Ian, 2001. " Public Sector Support for Innovating SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 303-17, June.
- Olavarrieta, Sergio & Friedmann, Roberto, 2008. "Market orientation, knowledge-related resources and firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 623-630, June.
- Hall, Richard & Andriani, Pierpaolo, 2003. "Managing knowledge associated with innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 145-152, February.
- Coombs, Rod & Hull, Richard, 1998. "'Knowledge management practices' and path-dependency in innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 237-253, July.
- Zheng, Wei & Yang, Baiyin & McLean, Gary N., 2010. "Linking organizational culture, structure, strategy, and organizational effectiveness: Mediating role of knowledge management," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 763-771, July.
- Jerez-Gomez, Pilar & Cespedes-Lorente, Jose & Valle-Cabrera, Ramon, 2005. "Organizational learning capability: a proposal of measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(6), pages 715-725, June.
- Vega-Jurado, Jaider & Gutiérrez-Gracia, Antonio & Fernández-de-Lucio, Ignacio & Manjarrés-Henriquez, Liney, 2008. "The effect of external and internal factors on firms' product innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 616-632, May.
- Fariborz Damanpour & Richard M. Walker & Claudia N. Avellaneda, 2009. "Combinative Effects of Innovation Types and Organizational Performance: A Longitudinal Study of Service Organizations," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 650-675, 06.
- Thornhill, Stewart, 2006. "Knowledge, innovation and firm performance in high- and low-technology regimes," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 687-703, September.
- Wu, Jianfeng & Shanley, Mark T., 2009. "Knowledge stock, exploration, and innovation: Research on the United States electromedical device industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 474-483, April.
- Robert D. Dewar & Jane E. Dutton, 1986. "The Adoption of Radical and Incremental Innovations: An Empirical Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(11), pages 1422-1433, November.
- Simpson, Penny M. & Siguaw, Judy A. & Enz, Cathy A., 2006. "Innovation orientation outcomes: The good and the bad," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1133-1141, October.
- Robert E. Quinn & John Rohrbaugh, 1983. "A Spatial Model of Effectiveness Criteria: Towards a Competing Values Approach to Organizational Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 363-377, March.
- Laforet, Sylvie, 2008. "Size, strategic, and market orientation affects on innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 753-764, July.
- Nooteboom, Bart, 1999. "Innovation, Learning and Industrial Organisation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 127-50, March.
- Chang, Dae Ryun & Cho, Hang, 2008. "Organizational memory influences new product success," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 13-23, January.
- Cheng, Cheng-Feng & Chang, Man-Ling & Li, Chu-Shiu, 2013. "Configural paths to successful product innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2561-2573.
- Branka Ahlin & Mateja Drnovšek & Robert Hisrich, 2014. "Entrepreneurs’ creativity and firm innovation: the moderating role of entrepreneurial self-efficacy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 101-117, June.
- Joaquín García-Cruz & Juan Carlos Real, 2012. "Trust as a consequence of perceived commitment: Implications on organizational learning capability and product innovation," Working Papers 12.03, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Business Organization and Marketing (former Department of Business Administration).
- repec:pab:wpbsad:12.04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antonio Carrizo Moreira & Pedro Miguel Silva, 2013. "Market orientation, innovation and organizational commitment in industrial firms," Tržište/Market, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 25(2), pages 123-142.
- Santos, David Ferreira Lopes & Basso, Leonardo Fernando Cruz & Kimura, Herbert & Kayo, Eduardo Kazuo, 2014. "Innovation efforts and performances of Brazilian firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 527-535.
- Yu, Yan & Dong, Xiao-Ying & Shen, Kathy Ning & Khalifa, Mohamed & Hao, Jin-Xing, 2013. "Strategies, technologies, and organizational learning for developing organizational innovativeness in emerging economies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2507-2514.
- Drechsler, Wenzel & Natter, Martin, 2012. "Understanding a firm's openness decisions in innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 438-445.
- Miklós Antal & Ardjan Gazheli & Jeroen van den Bergh, 2012. "Behavioral Foundations of Sustainability Transitions," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 3, WWWforEurope.
- Meyer, John & Subramaniam, Mohan, 2014. "Appropriating innovation's technical value: Examining the influence of exploration," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2860-2866.
- Ngo, Liem Viet & O'Cass, Aron, 2013. "Innovation and business success: The mediating role of customer participation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(8), pages 1134-1142.
- Camisón, César & Villar-López, Ana, 2014. "Organizational innovation as an enabler of technological innovation capabilities and firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2891-2902.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.