Public Sector Support for Innovating SMEs
AbstractInnovation support for SMEs is considered from the point of view of the "needs" of SMEs in the context of a specific regional economy--London's Lee Valley region. As identified in the literature and, more specifically, in a survey of 100 innovating SMEs in the study region, attention is focused on the innovation support needs that relate to the size characteristics of SMEs. The difficulties of financing innovation are shown to stem from the attitudes of SME owner managers as well as from supply-side failures. The paper examines four different innovation support instruments, taken as constituting key elements of the support "system" within the region. Drawing on the findings of interviews with client businesses, the paper considers the strengths and weaknesses of each policy instrument. Conclusions relate to the overall impact of innovation support provision, in particular the need for greater integration in the design and implementation of policy instruments. Copyright 2001 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jiménez-Jiménez, Daniel & Sanz-Valle, Raquel, 2011. "Innovation, organizational learning, and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 408-417, April.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Väänänen, Lotta, 2002. "Government Funding of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises in Finland," Discussion Papers 832, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kirsi Mukkala & Jari Ritsilä, 2004. "Role of regional policies in promoting networking and innovation activity of firms," ERSA conference papers ersa04p201, European Regional Science Association.
- Jean-Claude Boldrini & Emmanuel Chené & Nathalie Schieb-Bienfait, 2009. "Improving SMEs' guidance within public innovation supports," Working Papers hal-00423334, HAL.
- Mario Parrilli & Aitziber Elola, 2012. "The strength of science and technology drivers for SME innovation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 897-907, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.