Brand extension feedback: The role of advertising
AbstractFirms often use brand extensions as a way of introducing their new products, although they also risk diluting their brand image. In order to understand how consumers assess extensions and extended brands, the present work proposes and estimates a theoretical model, using the structural equation methodology. The results of the estimation indicate that the attitude towards the extension influences brand image and that this attitude is a consequence of the initial brand beliefs and the coherence of the new product. A multisample analysis also reveals that favoring the introduction of extensions through adequate advertising constitutes an efficient way of protecting brand image.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 62 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Brand extensions Brand image Brand equity Advertising;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sheinin, Daniel A. & Schmitt, Bernd H., 1994. "Extending brands with new product concepts: The role of category attribute congruity, brand affect, and brand breadth," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-10, September.
- Ruyter,Ko,de & Wetzels,Martin, 2000. "The Role of Corporate Image and Extension Similarity in Service Brand Extensions," Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Lemmink, Jos & Schuijf, Annelien & Streukens, Sandra, 2003. "The role of corporate image and company employment image in explaining application intentions," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Swaminathan, Vanitha, 2003. "Sequential brand extensions and brand choice behavior," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 431-442, June.
- Keller, Kevin Lane, 2003. " Brand Synthesis: The Multidimensionality of Brand Knowledge," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 595-600, March.
- Hoyer, Wayne D & Brown, Steven P, 1990. " Effects of Brand Awareness on Choice for a Common, Repeat-Purchase Product," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 141-48, September.
- Park, C Whan & Milberg, Sandra & Lawson, Robert, 1991. " Evaluation of Brand Extensions: The Role of Product Feature Similarity and Brand Concept Consistency," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 185-93, September.
- Bhat, Sobodh & Reddy, Srinivas K., 2001. "The impact of parent brand attribute associations and affect on brand extension evaluation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 111-122, September.
- Barone, Michael J & Miniard, Paul W & Romeo, Jean B, 2000. " The Influence of Positive Mood on Brand Extension Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(4), pages 386-400, March.
- Pina, José M. & Dall'Olmo Riley, Francesca & Lomax, Wendy, 2013. "Generalizing spillover effects of goods and service brand extensions: A meta-analysis approach," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(9), pages 1411-1419.
- Dens, Nathalie & De Pelsmacker, Patrick, 2010. "Attitudes toward the extension and parent brand in response to extension advertising," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(11), pages 1237-1244, November.
- Buil, Isabel & de Chernatony, Leslie & Martínez, Eva, 2013. "Examining the role of advertising and sales promotions in brand equity creation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 115-122.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.