Optimizing international portfolios with options and forwards
AbstractWe develop a stochastic programming model to address in a unified manner a number of interrelated decisions in international portfolio management: optimal portfolio diversification and mitigation of market and currency risks. The goal is to control the portfolio’s total risk exposure and attain an effective balance between risk and expected return. By incorporating options and forward contracts in the portfolio optimization model we are able to numerically assess the performance of alternative tactics for mitigating exposure to the primary risks. We find that control of market risk with options has more significant impact on portfolio performance than currency hedging. We demonstrate through extensive empirical tests that incremental benefits, in terms of reducing risk and generating profits, are gained when both the market and currency risks are jointly controlled through appropriate means.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
International portfolios; Stochastic programming; Options; Forwards; Risk management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muck, Matthias, 2010. "Trading strategies with partial access to the derivatives market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1288-1298, June.
- Bai, Ye & Green, Christopher J., 2010. "International diversification strategies: Revisited from the risk perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 236-245, January.
- Neuberger, Anthony & Hodges, Stewart, 2002. "How Large are the Benefits from Using Options?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 201-220, June.
- Rui Albuquerque, 2004.
"Optimal Currency Hedging,"
- Steil, Benn, 1993. "Currency Options and the Optimal Hedging of Contingent Foreign Exchange Exposure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(240), pages 413-31, November.
- Cheol S. Eun & Bruce G. Resnick, 1994. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios: U.S. and Japanese Perspectives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 140-161, January.
- M. B. Haugh & A. W. Lo, 2001. "Asset allocation and derivatives," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 45-72.
- Annaert, Jan & Deelstra, Griselda & Heyman, Dries & Vanmaele, Michèle, 2007. "Risk management of a bond portfolio using options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 299-316, November.
- Dimson, Elroy & Mussavian, Massoud, 1999. "Three centuries of asset pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 1745-1769, December.
- Aliprantis, C. D. & Brown, D. J. & Werner, J., 2000.
"Minimum-cost portfolio insurance,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1703-1719, October.
- Dentcheva, Darinka & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 2006.
"Portfolio optimization with stochastic dominance constraints,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 433-451, February.
- Darinka Dentcheva & Andrzej Ruszczynski, 2004. "Portfolio Optimization With Stochastic Dominance Constraints," Finance 0402016, EconWPA, revised 02 Mar 2006.
- Driessen, Joost & Laeven, Luc, 2007. "International portfolio diversification benefits: Cross-country evidence from a local perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1693-1712, June.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- You, Leyuan & Daigler, Robert T., 2010. "Is international diversification really beneficial?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 163-173, January.
- Glen, Jack & Jorion, Philippe, 1993. " Currency Hedging for International Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1865-86, December.
- Michal Kaut & Hercules Vladimirou & Stein W. Wallace & Stavros A. Zenios, 2007. "Stability analysis of portfolio management with conditional value-at-risk," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 397-409.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Resnick, Bruce G., 1997. "International equity investment with selective hedging strategies," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 21-42, April.
- Topaloglou, Nikolas & Vladimirou, Hercules & Zenios, Stavros A., 2008. "Pricing options on scenario trees," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 283-298, February.
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Robert F. Whitelaw, 1999. "Optimal Risk Management Using Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 359-375, 02.
- Topaloglou, Nikolas & Vladimirou, Hercules & Zenios, Stavros A., 2002. "CVaR models with selective hedging for international asset allocation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1535-1561, July.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Brennan, Michael J & Cao, H Henry, 1996. "Information, Trade, and Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 163-208.
- J. Annaert & G. Deelstra & D. Heyman & M. Vanmaele, 2007. "Risk management of a bond portfolio using options," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/465, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Solnik, Bruno, 1993. "The performance of international asset allocation strategies using conditioning information," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 33-55, June.
- Zhao, Yonggan & Ziemba, William T., 2008. "Calculating risk neutral probabilities and optimal portfolio policies in a dynamic investment model with downside risk control," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1525-1540, March.
- Liu, Jun & Pan, Jun, 2003. "Dynamic Derivative Strategies," Working papers 4334-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Eun, Cheol S & Resnick, Bruce G, 1988. " Exchange Rate Uncertainty, Forward Contracts, and International Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 197-215, March.
- Miller, Naomi & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 2008. "Risk-adjusted probability measures in portfolio optimization with coherent measures of risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 193-206, November.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. "Performance Measurement without Benchmarks: An Examination of Mutual Fund Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(1), pages 47-68, January.
- Matmoura, Yassine & Penev, Spiridon, 2013. "Multistage optimization of option portfolio using higher order coherent risk measures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(1), pages 190-198.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.