International Diversification of Investment Portfolios: U.S. and Japanese Perspectives
AbstractIn this paper, we analyze the gains from international diversification of investment portfolios from the Japanese as well as the U.S. perspectives. The major findings of this paper include: First, the 'potential' gains from international, as opposed to purely domestic, diversification are much greater for U.S. investors than for Japanese investors. For U.S. investors, the gains accrue not so much in terms of lower risk as in terms of higher return, and the opposite holds for Japanese investors. Second, using various 'ex ante' international investment strategies designed to control parameter uncertainty, U.S. investors can realize substantial gains from international diversification in out-of-sample periods. Japanese investors, however, can gain relatively little. Third, hedging exchange risk generally allows the U.S., but not Japanese, investors to benefit more from international diversification. For U.S. investors, the international bond diversification with exchange risk hedging offers a superior risk-return trade-off than the international stock diversification, with or without hedging.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 40 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
portfolio diversification; U.S.A.; Japan;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Resnick, Bruce G., 1997. "International equity investment with selective hedging strategies," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 21-42, April.
- Simpson, Marc W. & Dania, Akash, 2006. "Selectively hedging the Euro," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Scott McCarthy, 2003. "Hedging versus not hedging: strategies for managing foreign exchange transaction exposure," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 162, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Meyer, Thomas O. & Rose, Lawrence C., 2003. "The persistence of international diversification benefits before and during the Asian crisis," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 217-242, July.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser & Roca, Eduardo, 2006. "A re-examination of international portfolio diversification based on evidence from leveraged bootstrap methods," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 993-1007, December.
- Detzler, Miranda Lam, 1999. "The performance of global bond mutual funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1195-1217, August.
- Yun, Won-Cheol, 2006. "Selective hedging strategies for oil stockpiling," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3495-3504, December.
- Liljeblom, Eva & Loflund, Anders & Krokfors, Svante, 1997. "The benefits from international diversification for Nordic investors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 469-490, April.
- Shawky, Hany A. & Kuenzel, Rolf & Mikhail, Azmi D., 1997. "International portfolio diversification: a synthesis and an update," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 303-327, December.
- Richard Fu & Marco Pagani, 2012. "On the cointegration of international stock indices," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 463-480, April.
- Topaloglou, Nikolas & Vladimirou, Hercules & Zenios, Stavros A., 2011. "Optimizing international portfolios with options and forwards," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3188-3201.
- Sener, Tulin, 1998. "Objectives of hedging and optimal hedge ratios: US vs Japanese investors," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 137-153, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.