International outsourcing of services: A partnership model
AbstractThe business landscape is currently witnessing widespread migration of service functions from developed nations like the U.S to several foreign destinations as India, China, Ireland, Philippines etc. This happens as more and more firms engage in international outsourcing of services (IOS) to survive in today's highly competitive business environment. Despite increase in IOS, the nature of partnerships involved between clients and their overseas providers have not received adequate attention in the scholarly literature. In this paper, we develop a conceptual model that explains three possible types of IOS partnership. We discuss how these partnerships vary in the way they are conceived and implemented. Propositions are offered after elaborating on each type of partnership. We conclude by discussing the academic and practical implications of our model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Management.
Volume (Year): 13 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erran Carmel & Brian Nicholson, 2005. "Small Firms and Offshore Software Outsourcing: High Transaction Costs and Their Mitigation," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 13(3), pages 33-54, July.
- Margaret A. Peteraf & Jay B. Barney, 2003. "Unraveling the resource-based tangle," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 309-323.
- Mol, Michael J. & Pauwels, Pieter & Matthyssens, Paul & Quintens, Lieven, 2004. "A technological contingency perspective on the depth and scope of international outsourcing," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 287-305.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June.
- Jonathan P. Doh, 2005. "Offshore Outsourcing: Implications for International Business and Strategic Management Theory and Practice," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 695-704, 05.
- Janet Y Murray & Masaaki Kotabe & Joe Nan Zhou, 2005. "Strategic alliance-based sourcing and market performance: evidence from foreign firms operating in China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 187-208, March.
- David G Sirmon & Peter J Lane, 2004. "A model of cultural differences and international alliance performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 306-319, July.
- C. Alan Garner, 2004. "Offshoring in the service sector : economic impact and policy issues," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 5-37.
- Weidenbaum, Murray, 2005. "Outsourcing: Pros and cons," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 311-315.
- Cullen, John B. & Johnson, Jean L. & Sakano, Tomoaki, 2000. "Success through commitment and trust: the soft side of strategic alliance management," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 223-240.
- Bryce, David J. & Useem, Michael, 1998. "The impact of corporate outsourcing on company value," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 635-643, December.
- Czinkota, Michael R. & Ronkainen, Ilkka A., 2005. "A forecast of globalization, international business and trade: report from a Delphi study," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 111-123, May.
- Neng Liang & Arvind Parkhe, 1997. "Importer Behavior: the neglected Counterpart of International Exchange," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(3), pages 495-530, September.
- Erber, Georg & Sayed-Ahmed, Aida, 2004. "Offshore outsourcing - A global shift in the present IT industry," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 22/2005, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Parkhe, Arvind, 2001. "Executive briefing interfirm diversity in global alliances," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 2-4.
- Stack, Martin & Downing, Ricard, 2005. "Another look at offshoring: Which jobs are at risk and why?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 513-523.
- Wu, Fang & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Organizational learning, commitment, and joint value creation in interfirm relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 81-89, January.
- Fred Niederman & Sumit Kundu & Silvia Salas, 2006. "IT Software Development Offshoring: A Multi-Level Theoretical Framework and Research Agenda," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 14(2), pages 52-74, April.
- Cui, Anna Shaojie & Griffith, David A. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Dabic, Marina, 2006. "The influence of market and cultural environmental factors on technology transfer between foreign MNCs and local subsidiaries: A Croatian illustration," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 100-111, June.
- Kedia, Ben L. & Mukherjee, Debmalya, 2009. "Understanding offshoring: A research framework based on disintegration, location and externalization advantages," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 250-261, July.
- Marie CORIS (GREThA), 2008.
"The coordination issues of relocations: How proximity still matters in location of software development activities\r\n,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2008-03, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Marie CORIS (GREThA-GRES), 2008. "The coordination issues of relocations: How proximity still matters in location of software development activities\r\n," Cahiers du GRES 2008-03, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Lahiri, Somnath & Kedia, Ben L., 2011. "Co-evolution of institutional and organizational factors in explaining offshore outsourcing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 252-263, June.
- Jensen, Peter D. Ørberg, 2012. "A passage to India: A dual case study of activities, processes and resources in offshore outsourcing of advanced services," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 311-326.
- Hätönen, Jussi & Eriksson, Taina, 2009. "30+Â years of research and practice of outsourcing - Exploring the past and anticipating the future," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 142-155, June.
- Jensen, Peter D. Ørberg, 2009. "A learning perspective on the offshoring of advanced services," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 181-193, June.
- Li, Peter Ping, 2010. "Toward a learning-based view of internationalization: The accelerated trajectories of cross-border learning for latecomers," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 43-59, March.
- Somnath Lahiri, 2011. "India-focused publications in leading international business journals," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 427-447, June.
- Hätönen, Jussi, 2009. "Making the locational choice: A case approach to the development of a theory of offshore outsourcing and internationalization," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 61-76, March.
- Lahiri, Somnath & Kedia, Ben L., 2009. "The effects of internal resources and partnership quality on firm performance: An examination of Indian BPO providers," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 209-224, June.
- Michele Pinelli, 2013. "The regional soul of sustainability," Working Papers 15, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.