A model of cultural differences and international alliance performance
AbstractWe propose a model of cultural differences and international alliance performance to explain the ambiguous findings regarding the influence of national culture differences on alliance performance. Building on research on national, organizational, and professional cultures, we argue that the closer the domain of a social group is to the value-creating activities of an alliance, the more disruptive cultural differences between the partners’ members of that social group will be. Organizational culture differences will tend to be more disruptive than national culture differences, and differences in the professional culture most relevant to alliance value creation typically will be the most disruptive. Implications for research and managerial practice are discussed, and the model's relevance for international R&D alliances is highlighted. Journal of International Business Studies (2004) 35, 306–319. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400089
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 35 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pease, Stephanie & Paliwoda, Stanley & Slater, Jim, 2006. "The erosion of stable shareholder practice in Japan ("Anteikabunushi Kosaku")," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 618-640, December.
- Blanchot, Fabien, 2006. "Alliances et performances : un essai de synthèse," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2221, Paris Dauphine University.
- Hitt, Michael A. & Franklin, Victor & Zhu, Hong, 2006. "Culture, institutions and international strategy," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 222-234, June.
- Frenz, Marion & Ietto-Gillies, Grazia, 2009. "The impact on innovation performance of different sources of knowledge: Evidence from the UK Community Innovation Survey," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1125-1135, September.
- Nielsen, Bo Bernhard, 2007. "Determining international strategic alliance performance: A multidimensional approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 337-361, June.
- Oliver Marschollek & Roman Beck, 2012. "Alignment of Divergent Organizational Cultures in IT Public-Private Partnerships," Business & Information Systems Engineering, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 153-162, June.
- Foo Ho & Hui-Ming Wang & Scott Vitell, 2012. "A Global Analysis of Corporate Social Performance: The Effects of Cultural and Geographic Environments," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 107(4), pages 423-433, June.
- H.C. Menzel & R.Krauss & M.Weggeman, 2006. "Developing characteristics of an intrapreneurship-supportive culture," Working Papers 06-10, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised Mar 2006.
- Griffith, David A., 2010. "Understanding multi-level institutional convergence effects on international market segments and global marketing strategy," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Malik, Tariq H. & Zhao, Yanzhi, 2013. "Cultural distance and its implication for the duration of the international alliance in a high technology sector," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 699-712.
- Fariborz Damanpour & Carlos Devece & Chao Chen & Vijay Pothukuchi, 2012. "Organizational culture and partner interaction in the management of international joint ventures in India," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 453-478, June.
- Bstieler, Ludwig & Hemmert, Martin, 2008. "Developing trust in vertical product development partnerships: A comparison of South Korea and Austria," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Ronald Hill & Thomas Ainscough & Todd Shank & Daryl Manullang, 2007. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Socially Responsible Investing: A Global Perspective," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 165-174, January.
- Kobernyuk, Elena & Stiles, David & Ellson, Tony, 2014. "International joint ventures in Russia: Cultures' influences on alliance success," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 471-477.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W., 2007. "Factors influencing perceptions of performance: The case of western FDI in an emerging market," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 310-336, June.
- Buck, Trevor & Liu, Xiaohui & Ott, Ursula, 2010. "Long-term orientation and international joint venture strategies in modern China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 223-234, June.
- Liu, C.-L.E., 2012. "An investigation of relationship learning in cross-border buyer–supplier relationships: The role of trust," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 311-327.
- Delerue, Hélène & Simon, Eric, 2009. "National cultural values and the perceived relational risks in biotechnology alliance relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 14-25, February.
- Kedia, Ben L. & Lahiri, Somnath, 2007. "International outsourcing of services: A partnership model," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 22-37, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.