Co-evolution of institutional and organizational factors in explaining offshore outsourcing
AbstractOffshore outsourcing of business functions is widely practiced by firms in advanced economies. Although scholars have argued for various theoretical perspectives in explaining its nature and implications, a coherent explanation of how crucial factors that aid this growing phenomenon coevolve has not been offered. Further, a potential gap in the extant literature concerns inadequate simultaneous attention to clients and providers - the key actors in offshore outsourcing. With an aim to fulfill these research gaps, we provide in this paper an integrated framework wherein we delineate various institutional and organizational factors that coevolve to enable engagement of clients and providers in offshore outsourcing. Our conceptualization draws from information obtained by interviewing 46 executives of 31 firms of the Indian business process outsourcing industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan P. Doh, 2005. "Offshore Outsourcing: Implications for International Business and Strategic Management Theory and Practice," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 695-704, 05.
- Prastacos, Gregory & Söderquist, Klas & Spanos, Yiannis & Van Wassenhove, Luk, 2002. "An Integrated Framework for Managing Change in the New Competitive Landscape," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 55-71, February.
- Kedia, Ben L. & Lahiri, Somnath, 2007. "International outsourcing of services: A partnership model," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 22-37, March.
- Arie Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2009.
"Why are companies offshoring innovation ?The emerging global race for talent,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9073, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arie Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2008. "Why are companies offshoring innovation ?the emerging global race for talent," Working Papers CEB 08-009, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arie Y Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2009.
"Why are companies offshoring innovation? The emerging global race for talent,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(8), pages 1406-1406, October.
- Arie Y Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2009. "Why are companies offshoring innovation? The emerging global race for talent," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(6), pages 901-925, August.
- Weidenbaum, Murray, 2005. "Outsourcing: Pros and cons," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 311-315.
- Jorge Niosi & F. Ted Tschang, 2009. "The strategies of Chinese and Indian software multinationals: implications for internationalization theory," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 269-294, April.
- Arie Lewin & Carine Peeters, 2006. "The top-line allure of off-shoring," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9041, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Saran, Anshu & Guo, Chiquan, 2005. "Competing in the global marketplace: The case of India and China," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 135-142.
- Wu, Fang & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Organizational learning, commitment, and joint value creation in interfirm relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 81-89, January.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla & Aruna Ranganathan, 2008. "Economic Development Strategies and Macro- and Micro-Level Human Resource Policies: The Case of India’s "Outsourcing" Industry," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 62(1), pages 39-72, October.
- Henk W. Volberda & Arie Y. Lewin, 2003. "Co-evolutionary Dynamics Within and Between Firms: From Evolution to Co-evolution," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(8), pages 2111-2136, December.
- Kshetri, Nir, 2007. "Institutional factors affecting offshore business process and information technology outsourcing," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 38-56, March.
- Kedia, Ben L. & Mukherjee, Debmalya, 2009. "Understanding offshoring: A research framework based on disintegration, location and externalization advantages," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 250-261, July.
- Srilata Zaheer & Shalini Manrakhan, 2001. "Concentration and Dispersion in Global Industries: Remote Electronic Access and the Location of Economic Activities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 667-686, December.
- Lahiri, Somnath & Pérez-Nordtvedt, Liliana & Renn, Robert W., 2008. "Will the new competitive landscape cause your firm's decline? It depends on your mindset," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 311-320.
- Pawan S. Budhwar & Harsh K. Luthar & Jyotsna Bhatnagar, 2006. "The Dynamics of HRM Systems in Indian BPO Firms," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 27(3), pages 339-360, June.
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar (Raj) G. & Dixit, Ashutosh & Scherer, Robert F., 2009. "Outsourcing to emerging markets: Theoretical perspectives and policy implications," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 156-168, June.
- B Elango & Chinmay Pattnaik, 2007. "Building capabilities for international operations through networks: a study of Indian firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 541-555, July.
- Dunning, John H. & Lundan, Sarianna M., 1998. "The geographical sources of competitiveness of multinational enterprises: an econometric analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 115-133, April.
- Fred Niederman & Sumit Kundu & Silvia Salas, 2006. "IT Software Development Offshoring: A Multi-Level Theoretical Framework and Research Agenda," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 14(2), pages 52-74, April.
- Ben Kedia & Debmalya Mukherjee & Somnath Lahiri, 2006. "Indian business groups: Evolution and transformation," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 559-577, December.
- Lahiri, Somnath & Kedia, Ben L., 2009. "The effects of internal resources and partnership quality on firm performance: An examination of Indian BPO providers," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 209-224, June.
- Kshetri, Nir & Dholakia, Nikhilesh, 2009. "Professional and trade associations in a nascent and formative sector of a developing economy: A case study of the NASSCOM effect on the Indian offshoring industry," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 225-239, June.
- Hätönen, Jussi & Eriksson, Taina, 2009. "30+Â years of research and practice of outsourcing - Exploring the past and anticipating the future," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 142-155, June.
- Yadong Luo & Rosalie L Tung, 2007. "International expansion of emerging market enterprises: A springboard perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 481-498, July.
- Mukherjee, Debmalya & Gaur, Ajai S. & Datta, Avimanyu, 2013. "Creating value through offshore outsourcing: An integrative framework," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 377-389.
- Schmeisser, Bjoern, 2013. "A Systematic Review of Literature on Offshoring of Value Chain Activities," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 390-406.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.