Offshoring and unemployment: The role of search frictions labor mobility
AbstractIn a two-sector, general-equilibrium model with labor-market search frictions, we find that the wage increases and sectoral unemployment decreases upon offshoring in the presence of perfect intersectoral labor mobility. If, as a result, labor moves to the sector with the lower (or equal) vacancy costs, there is an unambiguous decrease in economywide unemployment. With imperfect intersectoral labor mobility, unemployment in the offshoring sector can rise, with an unambiguous unemployment reduction in the non-offshoring sector. Imperfect labor mobility can result in a mixed equilibrium in which only some firms offshore, with unemployment in the offshoring sector rising.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 81 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Trade Offshoring Search Unemployment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2008.
"Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1978-97, December.
- Erhan Artuç & Shubham Chaudhuri & John McLaren, 2007.
"Delay and Dynamics in Labor Market Adjustment: Simulation Results,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
0703, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Artuç, Erhan & Chaudhuri, Shubham & McLaren, John, 2008. "Delay and dynamics in labor market adjustment: Simulation results," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 1-13, May.
- Shubham Chaudhuri & Erhan Artuç & John McLaren, 2003. "Delay and dynamics in labor market adjustment: Simulation results," Discussion Papers 0304-07, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Karabay, Bilgehan & McLaren, John, 2010.
"Trade, offshoring, and the invisible handshake,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 26-34, September.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Wasmer, Etienne, 2001. "Does Intrafirm Bargaining Matter In The Large Firm'S Matching Model?," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(05), pages 742-747, November.
- Davidson, Carl & Matusz, Steven J. & Shevchenko, Andrei, 2008. "Outsourcing Peter To Pay Paul: High-Skill Expectations And Low-Skill Wages With Imperfect Labor Markets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 463-479, September.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, December.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Arvind Panagariya & T. N. Srinivasan, 2004.
"The Muddles over Outsourcing,"
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998.
"Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models,"
422, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "Fragmentation in simple trade models," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
- Stole, Lars A & Zwiebel, Jeffrey, 1996. "Intra-firm Bargaining under Non-binding Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(3), pages 375-410, July.
- Carl Davidson & Steven J. Matusz, 2004. "International Trade and Labor Markets: Theory, Evidence, and Policy Implications," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number itlm, December.
- Mark P. Moore & Priya Ranjan, 2005. "Globalisation vs Skill-Biased Technological Change: Implications for Unemployment and Wage Inequality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 391-422, 04.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005.
"Fear of service outsourcing: is it justified?,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 20(42), pages 308-347, 04.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005. "Service offshoring, Productivity, and Employment," IMF Working Papers 05/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Oleg Itskhoki & Elhanan Helpman, 2008.
"Labor Market Rigidities, Trade and Unemployment,"
2008 Meeting Papers
690, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki, 2007. "Labor Market Rigidities, Trade and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 13365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Itskhoki, Oleg, 2009. "Labor Market Rigidities, Trade, and Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 7502, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arndt, Sven W., 1997. "Globalization and the open economy," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 71-79.
- Bardhan, Ashok Deo & Kroll, Cynthia, 2003. "The New Wave of Outsourcing," Fisher Center for Real Estate & Urban Economics, Research Reports qt02f8z392, Fisher Center for Real Estate & Urban Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI & Matteo PICCHIO, 2012.
"Offshoring and Job Stability: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing,"
378, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Lo Turco, Alessia & Maggioni, Daniela & Picchio, Matteo, 2013. "Offshoring and job stability: Evidence from Italian manufacturing," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 27-46.
- Lo Turco, A. & Maggioni, D. & Picchio, M., 2012. "Offshoring and Job Stability: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing," Discussion Paper 2012-034, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lo Turco, Alessia & Maggioni, Daniela & Picchio, Matteo, 2012. "Offshoring and Job Stability: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing," IZA Discussion Papers 6514, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI & Matteo PICCHIO, 2012. "Offshoring and Job Stability: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2012007, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- A. Lo Turco & D. Maggioni & M. Picchio, 2012. "Offshoring and Job Stability: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/817, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Hasan, Rana & Mitra, Devashish & Ranjan, Priya & Ahsan, Reshad N., 2012. "Trade liberalization and unemployment: Theory and evidence from India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 269-280.
- Andrea F. Presbitero & Matteo G. Richiardi & Alessia Amighini, 2012.
"Is labor flexibility a substitute to offshoring? Evidence from Italian manafacturing,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
122, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Matteo G. Richiardi & Alessia Amighini, 2012. "Is labor flexibility a substitute to offshoring? Evidence from Italian manafacturing," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 72, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Kohler, Wilhelm & Wrona, Jens, 2011. "Offshoring tasks, yet creating jobs?," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 12, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2012.
"Skill-biased labor market reforms and international competitiveness,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(37), pages 1-39.
- Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2012. "Skill-biased labor market reforms and international competitiveness," IAB Discussion Paper 201224, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Tillmann Schwörer, 2012. "Offshoring, Domestic Outsourcing, and Productivity: Evidence for a Number of European Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1786, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ranjan, Priya, 2013.
"Offshoring, unemployment, and wages: The role of labor market institutions,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 172-186.
- Priya Ranjan, 2012. "Offshoring, Unemployment, and Wages: The Role of Labor Market Institutions," Working Papers 121302, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2014.
"Foreign direct investment and search unemployment: Theory and evidence,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 41-56.
- Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2012. "Foreign direct investment and search unemployment : Theory and evidence," IAB Discussion Paper 201204, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Mazumder, Debojyoti, 2013. "Inheritance, Search Friction and International Trade: A General Equilibrium Model," MPRA Paper 55250, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tillmann Schwörer, 2013. "Offshoring, domestic outsourcing and productivity: evidence for a number of European countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 131-149, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.