The lens condition for factor price equalization
AbstractDeardorff (1994) provides a condition that is necessary for factor price equalization across countries. That condition is a generalization of "country endowments contained in the diversification cone" from the standard 2x2x2 Hecksher-Ohlin model to the case of many goods, countries and factors. He also shows that this condition is sufficient in the case of two countries, and conjectures that sufficiency might hold in general. In this paper we establish sufficiency in some further cases. However, we show by a counterexample that the sufficiency does not hold in general.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 47 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Other versions of this item:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1994.
"The possibility of factor price equalization, revisited,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 167-175, February.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1991. "The Possibility of Factor Price Equalization, Revisited," Working Papers 277, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Peter Debaere & Ufuk Demiroglu, 2003. "Factor Accumulation Without Diminishing Returns: The Case of East Asia: Technical Paper 2003-11," Working Papers 15113, Congressional Budget Office.
- Debaere, Peter, 2004. "Does lumpiness matter in an open economy?: Studying international economics with regional data," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 485-501, December.
- Harald Fadinger, 2006. "Development Accounting in a Heckscher-Ohlin World," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_017, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Brakman, Steven & van Marrewijk, Charles, 2013.
"Lumpy countries, urbanization, and trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 252-261.
- Kwan Koo Yun & Siu-kee Wong, 2001. "The Lens Condition with Two Factors," Discussion Papers 01-08, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Xiang, C., 1999.
"The Sufficiency of the "Lens Conditions" for Factor Price Equalization in the Case of Two Factors,"
434, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Xiang, Chong, 2001. "The sufficiency of the 'lens condition' for factor price equalization in the case of two factors," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 463-474, April.
- Harald Fadinger, 2007. "Development Accounting in a Heckscher-Ohlin World," 2007 Meeting Papers 600, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Raymond Robertson & Peter K. Schott, 2005. "A Note on the Empirical Implementation of the Lens Condition," NBER Working Papers 11448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eleydiane Maria Gomes Vale & João Mário De Franç, 2014. "Cones De Diversificação E Comércio Exterior: Uma Análise Sobre Diferenças Salariais E Competitividade Industrial No Nordeste E Sudeste Do Brasil," Anais do XLI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 41th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 109, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Debaere, Peter & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2003. "On the similarity of country endowments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 101-136, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.