The Sufficiency of the "Lens Conditions" for Factor Price Equalization in the Case of Two Factors
AbstractFactor price equalization (FPE) is a central theme in trade theory, for which Dixit and Norman (1980) establish the necessary and sufficient condition (the FPE condition). Deardorff (1994) provides a more intuitive condition (the lens condition) and establishes its necessity in general, as well as its sufficiency for the case of 2 countries. In this paper, I prove that the lens condition is sufficient for FPE in the case of 2 factors. This theorem has implications for empirical work.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan in its series Working Papers with number 434.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
TRADE POLICY ; PRICES;
Other versions of this item:
- Xiang, Chong, 2001. "The sufficiency of the 'lens condition' for factor price equalization in the case of two factors," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 463-474, April.
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demiroglu, Ufuk & Koo Yun, Kwan, 1999.
"The lens condition for factor price equalization,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 449-456, April.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1991.
"The Possibility of Factor Price Equalization, Revisited,"
277, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1994. "The possibility of factor price equalization, revisited," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 167-175, February.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998.
"An Account of Global Factor Trade,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1849, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Davis, D.R. & Weinstein, D.E., 1999. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Working Papers 435, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," NBER Working Papers 6785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Debaere, Peter & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2003. "On the similarity of country endowments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 101-136, January.
- Blackorby, Charles & Schworm, William & Venables, Anthony, 1993.
"Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Factor Price Equalization,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 413-34, April.
- BLACKORBY, Ch. & SCHWORM, W. & VENABLES, A., 1986. "Necessary and sufficient conditions for factor price equalization," CORE Discussion Papers 1986047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andrew B. Bernard & Raymond Robertson & Peter K. Schott, 2005. "A Note on the Empirical Implementation of the Lens Condition," NBER Working Papers 11448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kwan Koo Yun & Siu-kee Wong, 2001. "The Lens Condition with Two Factors," Discussion Papers 01-08, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Brakman, Steven & van Marrewijk, Charles, 2013.
"Lumpy countries, urbanization, and trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 252-261.
- Ju, Jiandong & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006.
"A Solution to Two Paradoxes of International Capital Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5981, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jiandong Ju, 2006. "A Solution to Two Paradoxes of International Capital Flow," IMF Working Papers 06/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Jiandong Ju & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "A Solution to Two Paradoxes of International Capital Flows," NBER Working Papers 12668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Becker & Erich Gundlach, 2006.
"Notes on Factor Price Equality and Biased Technical Change in a Two-Cone Trade Model,"
Kiel Working Papers
1300, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Becker, Daniel Thomas & Gundlach, Erich, 2006. "Notes on factor price equality and biased technical change in a two-cone trade model," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 68, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (FSPP Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.