The sufficiency of the 'lens condition' for factor price equalization in the case of two factors
AbstractFactor price equalization (FPE) is a central theme in trade theory, for which Dixit and Norman (1980) establish the necessary and sufficient condition (the FPE condition). Deardorff (1994) provides a more intuitive condition (the lens condition) and establishes its necessity in general, as well as its sufficiency for the case of 2 countries. In this paper, I prove that the lens condition is sufficient for FPE in the case of 2 factors. This theorem has implications for empirical work.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 53 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Other versions of this item:
- Xiang, C., 1999. "The Sufficiency of the "Lens Conditions" for Factor Price Equalization in the Case of Two Factors," Working Papers 434, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davis, D.R. & Weinstein, D.E., 1999.
"An Account of Global Factor Trade,"
435, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," NBER Working Papers 6785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1849, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Blackorby, Charles & Schworm, William & Venables, Anthony, 1993.
"Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Factor Price Equalization,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 413-34, April.
- BLACKORBY, Ch. & SCHWORM, W. & VENABLES, A., 1986. "Necessary and sufficient conditions for factor price equalization," CORE Discussion Papers 1986047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Demiroglu, Ufuk & Koo Yun, Kwan, 1999.
"The lens condition for factor price equalization,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 449-456, April.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1994.
"The possibility of factor price equalization, revisited,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 167-175, February.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1991. "The Possibility of Factor Price Equalization, Revisited," Working Papers 277, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Debaere, Peter & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2003. "On the similarity of country endowments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 101-136, January.
- Steven Brakman & Charles van Marrewijk, 2011.
"Lumpy Countries, Urbanization, and Trade,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3669, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jiandong Ju & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006.
"A Solution to Two Paradoxes of International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
12668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ju, Jiandong & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006. "A Solution to Two Paradoxes of International Capital Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 5981, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jiandong Ju, 2006. "A Solution to Two Paradoxes of International Capital Flow," IMF Working Papers 06/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Becker, Daniel Thomas & Gundlach, Erich, 2006.
"Notes on factor price equality and biased technical change in a two-cone trade model,"
Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory
68, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Daniel Becker & Erich Gundlach, 2006. "Notes on Factor Price Equality and Biased Technical Change in a Two-Cone Trade Model," Kiel Working Papers 1300, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- repec:ros:wpaper:68 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew B. Bernard & Raymond Robertson & Peter K. Schott, 2005. "A Note on the Empirical Implementation of the Lens Condition," NBER Working Papers 11448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kwan Koo Yun & Siu-kee Wong, 2001. "The Lens Condition with Two Factors," Discussion Papers 01-08, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.