Do consumer expectations match experience? Predicting the influence of price and country of origin on perceptions of product quality
AbstractThis study investigates the respective influences of price and country of origin as extrinsic cues on consumer evaluations of wine quality when all intrinsic cues are experienced through sensory perceptions, and then compares these results with those of a survey employing identical intrinsic and extrinsic cues. Taste testing experiments were conducted (NÂ =Â 263) using Chardonnay and a three (COO) by three (price) by three (acid level) conjoint analysis fractional factorial design. Price and COO were both found to be more important contributors to perception of wine quality than taste. The study advances our understanding of the influence of extrinsic cues to dominant quality assessment and shows conjoint analysis to be a credible means of measuring consumer reactions to specific wine attributes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maheswaran, Durairaj, 1994. " Country of Origin as a Stereotype: Effects of Consumer Expertise and Attribute Strength on Product Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 354-65, September.
- Erickson, Gary M & Johansson, Johny K, 1985. " The Role of Price in Multi-attribute Product Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(2), pages 195-99, September.
- Srinivasan, Narasimhan & Jain, Subhash C. & Sikand, Kiranjit, 2004. "An experimental study of two dimensions of country-of-origin (manufacturing country and branding country) using intrinsic and extrinsic cues," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-82, February.
- Green, Paul E & Srinivasan, V, 1978. " Conjoint Analysis in Consumer Research: Issues and Outlook," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(2), pages 103-23, Se.
- Pechmann, Cornelia & Ratneshwar, S, 1992. " Consumer Covariation Judgments: Theory or Data Driven?," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 373-86, December.
- Monroe, Kent B, 1976. " The Influence of Price Differences and Brand Familiarity on Brand Preferences," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(1), pages 42-49, June.
- Canfei He, 2003.
"Location of foreign manufacturers in China: Agglomeration economies and country of origin effects,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 82(3), pages 351-372, September.
- Canfei He, 2003. "Location of foreign manufacturers in China: Agglomeration economies and country of origin effects," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 82(3), pages 351-372, September.
- Paul Chao, 1989. "Export and Reverse Investment: Strategic Implications for Newly Industrialized Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(1), pages 75-91, March.
- Manrai, Lalita A. & Lascu, Dana-Nicoleta & Manrai, Ajay K., 1998. "Interactive effects of country of origin and product category on product evaluations," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 591-615, November.
- Eriksson, Kent & Hadjikhani, Amjad, 2000. "Perceptual product connection in an international context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 301-320, June.
- Wansink, Brian & Park, Sea Bum & Sonka, Steven T. & Morganosky, Michelle A., 2000. "How Soy Labeling Influences Preference And Taste," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 3(01).
- Alba, Joseph W & Hutchinson, J Wesley, 2000. " Knowledge Calibration: What Consumers Know and What They Think They Know," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 123-56, September.
- Warren J Bilkey & Erik Nes, 1982. "Country-of-Origin Effects on Product Evaluations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(1), pages 89-100, March.
- Godey, Bruno & Pederzoli, Daniele & Aiello, Gaetano & Donvito, Raffaele & Chan, Priscilla & Oh, Hyunjoo & Singh, Rahul & Skorobogatykh, Irina I. & Tsuchiya, Junji & Weitz, Bart, 2012. "Brand and country-of-origin effect on consumers' decision to purchase luxury products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1461-1470.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.