Brand and country-of-origin effect on consumers' decision to purchase luxury products
AbstractThis research aims to update the factors influencing consumer purchase of luxury goods and, more specifically, to consider the combined effect of brand and country of origin (CoO) on the purchasing decision. This article extends an exploratory phase constructed from qualitative data previously gathered on this topic. The study includes administering a questionnaire online in seven countries (China, France, India, Italy, Japan, Russia, and the USA) to a total sample of 1102 respondents. The richness of this research relates to the possibility of an intercultural analysis of the results from seven countries. These results concern the differences in the relative importance of components of the consumer decision-making process in respect of the purchase of luxury and non-luxury goods; the relative importance of CoO for consumers making purchasing decisions relating to luxury goods; and the variation in consumers' decision-making criteria depending on the maturity of the luxury market. This research allows the authors to confirm, develop, and generalize results previously obtained in the exploratory phase of their work. They are interesting in terms of management recommendations for a company that wishes to expand internationally in a geographic area covered by the study, since the research found significant differences. The results of the research contribute also to the theoretical controversy concerning the importance of CoO in the consumer decision-making process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 65 (2012)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Country of origin; Luxury; International; Cross-cultural analysis; Consumer behavior;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A Peterson & Alain J P Jolibert, 1995. "A Meta-Analysis of Country-of-Origin Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 883-900, December.
- Fournier, Susan, 1998. " Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(4), pages 343-73, March.
- Johny K Johansson & Israel D Nebenzahl, 1986. "Multinational Production: Effect on Brand Value," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 101-126, September.
- Pereira, Arun & Hsu, Chin-Chun & Kundu, Sumit K., 2005. "Country-of-origin image: measurement and cross-national testing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 103-106, January.
- Erickson, Gary M & Johansson, Johny K & Chao, Paul, 1984. " Image Variables in Multi-Attribute Product Evaluations: Country-of-Origin Effects," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 694-99, September.
- Martin S Roth & Jean B Romeo, 1992. "Matching Product Category and Country Image Perceptions: A Framework for Managing Country-of-Origin Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(3), pages 477-497, September.
- Kleine, Susan Schultz & Kleine, Robert E, III & Allen, Chris T, 1995. " How Is a Possession "Me" or "Not Me"? Characterizing Types and an Antecedent of Material Possession Attachment," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(3), pages 327-43, December.
- Veale, Roberta & Quester, Pascale, 2009. "Do consumer expectations match experience? Predicting the influence of price and country of origin on perceptions of product quality," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 134-144, April.
- Roth, Katharina P. & Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, 2009. "Advancing the country image construct," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(7), pages 726-740, July.
- Dittmar, Helga, 1994. "Material possessions as stereotypes: Material images of different socio-economic groups," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 561-585, December.
- Warren J Bilkey & Erik Nes, 1982. "Country-of-Origin Effects on Product Evaluations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(1), pages 89-100, March.
- Corneo, Giacomo & Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Conspicuous consumption, snobbism and conformism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 55-71, October.
- Srinivasan, Narasimhan & Jain, Subhash C. & Sikand, Kiranjit, 2004. "An experimental study of two dimensions of country-of-origin (manufacturing country and branding country) using intrinsic and extrinsic cues," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-82, February.
- Bernard Dubois & Sandor Czellar & Gilles Laurent, 2005. "Consumer Segments Based on Attitudes Toward Luxury: Empirical Evidence from Twenty Countries," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 115-128, April.
- Belk, Russell W, 1988. " Possessions and the Extended Self," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 139-68, September.
- C Min Han & Vern Terpstra, 1988. "Country-Of-Origin Effects for Uni-National and Bi-National Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 235-255, June.
- Kevin Lane Keller & Donald R. Lehmann, 2006. "Brands and Branding: Research Findings and Future Priorities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(6), pages 740-759, 11-12.
- Ravi Pappu & Pascale G Quester & Ray W Cooksey, 2007. "Country image and consumer-based brand equity: relationships and implications for international marketing," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(5), pages 726-745, September.
- Ko, Eunju & Megehee, Carol M., 2012. "Fashion marketing of luxury brands: Recent research issues and contributions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1395-1398.
- Tonino Pencarelli & Barbara Francioni & Linda Gabbianelli, 2013. "Factors driving consumer attitude and purchase intention towards hunting firearms," The International Journal of Economic Behavior - IJEB, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, vol. 3(1), pages 85-102, December.
- Francesca Checchinato & Lala Hu & Tiziano Vescovi, 2013. "The communication of foreign products in China through the store: an empirical analysis," The International Journal of Economic Behavior - IJEB, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, vol. 3(1), pages 41-57, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.