The influence of interfirm relational capabilities on export advantage and performance: an empirical analysis
AbstractOwing to the nature of the export channel environment, exporting firms cannot rely solely on their internal competencies for achieving competitive advantages and export success. Instead, exporters must look beyond the firm's boundary to tap into the distinctive competencies of external actors such as distributors if they want to realize the full potential of their products. Yet, there is little empirical evidence of the strategic impact of resources and capabilities that can be shared in marketing's cooperative relationships. This study raises two research questions: (1) does a firm's relational capability contribute to its export competitive advantages? and (2) does a firm's relational factors make an incremental contribution to its export advantage and performance beyond the contribution of firm factors. A significant conclusion of this study is that after controlling for internal firm factors, relational factors make a unique contribution to both the competitive advantages of the firm and its export performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morgan, Robert M. & Hunt, Shelby, 1999. "Relationship-Based Competitive Advantage: The Role of Relationship Marketing in Marketing Strategy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 281-290, November.
- Kaynak, Erdener & Kuan, Wellington Kang-yen, 1993. "Environment, strategy, structure, and performance in the context of export activity: An empirical study of Taiwanese manufacturing firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 33-49, May.
- Piercy, Nigel F & Kaleka, Anna & Katsikeas, Constantine S, 1998. "Sources of competitive advantage in high performing exporting companies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 378-393, January.
- Carl H Christensen & Angela da Rocha & Rosane Kerbel Gertner, 1987. "An Empirical Investigation of Factors Influencing Exporting Success of Brazilian Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(3), pages 61-77, September.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Frank M. Bass, 1995. "Empirical Generalizations and Marketing Science: A Personal View," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages G6-G19.
- Håkansson, Håkan & Snehota, Ivan, 1989. "No business is an island: The network concept of business strategy," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 187-200.
- Christos Karelakis & Konstadinos Mattas & George Chryssochoidis, 2008. "Greek wine firms: determinants of export performance," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 275-297.
- Parhizkar, Omid & Miller, Chad R. & Smith, Robert L., 2010. "Private sector development implications of the export performance determinants of U.S. small-medium forest enterprises to Mexico, Europe, and Asia," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 387-396, June.
- Bahaee, Mahmood & Pisani, Michael J., 2009. "Iranian consumer animosity and U.S. products: A witch's brew or elixir?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 199-210, April.
- Majidah Hassan Author_Email: NIL & Grace McCarthy, 2011. "Influential Organisational Capabilities For Smes’ Export Performance: An Exploratory Study," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-045-168, Conference Master Resources.
- Singh, Deeksha A., 2009. "Export performance of emerging market firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 321-330, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.