Greek wine firms: determinants of export performance
AbstractAlthough extensive research on the importance of the determinant factors of export performance exists, only a few studies on the wine sector have been conducted. The present study examines the export performance determinants of Greek wine firms. Primary data were collected from Greek wine exporters through a mail survey. A combination of exploratory, confirmatory, and path analyses were employed. Factors that were either similar or dissimilar to existing knowledge appear to be important for success in the wine sector. The main success dimensions, in ascending order of importance, include (a) aspects of export competitive advantage (e.g., firm export competence, export channel knowledge, product adaptation, competitive price, and distributor support), (b) environmental factors (e.g., hostility and price competition), and channel relationship antecedents (e.g., information exchange and cooperation). Implications of the findings are discussed. [EconLit citations: Q100, Q130]. © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piercy, Nigel F. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Cravens, David W., 1997. "Examining the role of buyer-seller relationships in export performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-86, April.
- Rose, Gregory M. & Shoham, Aviv, 2002. "Export performance and market orientation: establishing an empirical link," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 217-225, March.
- Ling-yee, Li & Ogunmokun, Gabriel O., 2001. "The influence of interfirm relational capabilities on export advantage and performance: an empirical analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 399-420, August.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1984. "Differences among exporting firms based on their degree of internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 195-208, June.
- Baldauf, Artur & Cravens, David W. & Wagner, Udo, 2000. "Examining determinants of export performance in small open economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 61-79, April.
- Preet S Aulakh & Masaaki Kotabe, 1997. "Antecedents and Performance Implications of Channel Integration in Foreign Markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 145-175, March.
- Robertson, Christopher & Chetty, Sylvie K., 2000. "A contingency-based approach to understanding export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 211-235, April.
- Piercy, Nigel F & Kaleka, Anna & Katsikeas, Constantine S, 1998. "Sources of competitive advantage in high performing exporting companies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 378-393, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.